No text showing at all

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Cendash, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Cendash

Cendash Woad Raider

Yes NCSGeek, the game runs in safe mode. It has all the text that it should. It was, however,so lagged and choppy as to be unplayable.

If it only runs in safe mode does that imply that it is a program conflict and not a settings/options issue?

If that is true, how about this?:
    1) Run the game in normal mode and make a log of all the programs and apps that are running.
    2) Then restart in Safe-mode, run the game again and make another log.
    3) Compare the logs to make a list of suspects (conflicting programs) to eliminate.

If that makes sense, I am open to suggestions on which reports/logs to use.

I will not be insulted if you correct me. Program interactions are a bit out of my depth.

2. Cendash

Cendash Woad Raider

So I went back to re-checked and redo all the steps so far. After each item I rechecked the game to see if it works. When I fix anything mechanical, rechecking is a vital part of the trouble shooting.

When I uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics driver (the exact same version), the game started to show the text!

So I think we have it licked.

Thank you so much for all the help. I am sorry to take so much of your time. You have been great.

If you want any other info I am happy to oblige.

3. NCSGeek

NCSGeek Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Doesnt look like that worked, I actually had a feeling it might have worked. The LastBootTimeFontCacheState shouldnt be relevant to my knowledge. Btw, did you ever see if the bug happens on a different windows user?

4. Cendash

Cendash Woad Raider

I have not. I will check it now.

I guess I should reverse that regedit too?

5. NCSGeek

NCSGeek Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes, might as well reverse it.

6. jilguerin

jilguerin Game Developer

7. jilguerin

jilguerin Game Developer

Go to C:\Users<YOUR USER NAME>\Documents\Spartan\Users2 and locate the NewProfile2.xml file or something like that - Change the extension from .xml to .txt and open the file with the notepad after that - Then, search for "optiongrfxres" and change the value on the left to whatever your monitor native uses (mine uses Full HD, so the final result will be: Name="optiongrfxres">1920 x 1080</Setting>) - After that, search for "optionrefreshrate" and change the whatever value it shows to 60, like that: <Setting Name="optionrefreshrate">60</Setting> - Save all the changes made to the file and change its extension to the original one (.xml) - Then try and run the game and see if worked

8. Cendash

Cendash Woad Raider

This thing is solved.
    After all the troubleshooting and gracious help from NCSGeek and other community members, it came down to the video drivers.

I had already updated them to no effect, but I uninstalled the video driver (for the third time I think), restarted, and reinstalled the exact same driver. That did the trick for some reason.

Which goes to show you, it is worth rechecking ALL your work if a problem persists.

My video card is a GeForce GTX 660. So it is not new but it is more than jammy enough to run AOEO at max settings with no hiccups. The driver is v397.64.

NCSGeek likes this.
  9. NCSGeek

NCSGeek Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Fantastic! Honestly, I was staring at my screen for a while trying to think of what to suggest next, lol. I didnt think it'd come down to being a driver issue. Re-installing the driver must have refreshed something that was wrong to the intended state. Either way, glad it's all working now!

10. Forest

Forest Long Swordsman

Congrats. Best news for today :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice