By PF2K on May 2, 2020 at 12:18 PM
  1. PF2K

PF2K Lead Developer
    Staff Member Administrator

Header_-_DevUpdate_2020-05-02.png
    Hello there Celeste players! We are back again with another Developer Update blog.

Here, we are going to spotlight a few of the important changes that have been applied to the game, alongside some updates regarding the Roman civilization campaign and a letter of gratitude towards the community, for the yearly donation goal of 2019.

Quality of Life Changes
    =====================
    Priestess_Vanity.png
    Priestess of Ra can now equip Vanity Staffs. This is one of the things that felt missing from the original game, so we went ahead and gave her a Vanity Staff slot. Who doesn't want huge elephant scepters on their Priestesses? We sure do!

Warehouse_Tooltips.png
    A common question among many new players is "Why can I not repack some of my warehouses? It looks like every other warehouse in my capital city!"

Despite having identical looks and names, some 16-slot and 20-slot warehouses are given to players for free upon starting a new civilization. These warehouses are locked to their capital cities, meaning that they are always applied to that civilization and cannot be repacked and replaced with other warehouses. But new players have no way of knowing this, so we added tooltips for all of these warehouses to reduce the confusion and frustration.

These are very small parts of our plans to enhancing the new player experience. Stay tuned for more updates like this in future blogs!

(PF2K's Personal Note: What other things have confused you as a new player? Let me know in the comments below!)

Celt and Norse Buffs
    ===================

SeerRaven_Buff.png

Sacred_Deer_Buff.png
    In addition to these changes, two other Celtic buffs have been applied, which are as follows:

• Celtic Call to Arms Tech: Now increases Villagers' Damage by 250%, from 150%.
      • Developer Comment: While a pretty cool upgrade on paper, we felt like the damage increase given to the Villagers didn't quite feel powerful enough. While this upgrade is still a "gimmicky" upgrade by design, it should now at least feel a little better to use.
    • Celtic Gold Mine: Builder Limit and Maximum Villager Contained Count increased to 20, from 10.
      • Developer Comment: One of the more annoying things about the Celtic Gold Mine is that when you send a large group of Villagers to build it, many of them won't be able to participate in the construction or mining from the Gold Mine itself. This change should help address that.

Advisor Buffs and Reworks
    =========================
    Grand_Engineer_Themistokles_Buff.png
    While the 3rd set of Legendary Advisors have been mostly a success, this one stood out and the feedback we got from players indicated that the power level of Grand Engineer Themistokles wasn't quite on par with the rest of the Legendary Advisors, so we went ahead and gave him a little love. He should be a fierce competitor for Bolt-Carrier Seleucus now!

Chieftain_Combutis_Rework.png
    Full details regarding this change can be found HERE. Thanks to everyone who participated!

Roman Campaign Quest Spotlights
    ================================
    As you already know, the Romans are going to have a full Campaign upon release. We are still working on their Quests but we'd like to show you spotlights from some of the more unique Quests that you will see when playing the Roman Campaign!

DeathFromAbove_Spotlight.png
    OnYourHighHorse_Spotlight.png
    HoratiusAtTheBridge_Spotlight.png
    One of the things that we have previously mentioned (on streams, discord and other places) is that the Roman Main Campaign will allow co-op throughout every single Quest. This is something that the other 3 Campaigns lack (Greeks, Egyptians and Celts.)

In many cases, you have times where one Quest can be played in co-op mode, then the next one can't, and so on. We feel like this sometimes creates moments when you cannot play with your partner where one has to wait for the other to finish, creating gaps in co-op gameplay.

This will be done in multiple ways:
    • Method 1: In "standard" Quests, Player 2 will simply have a base just like the main player and will play along.
    • Method 2: In Quests where there is a pre-set group of Units/Buildings for Player 1 (such as "Death From Above" and "On Your High Horse", Player 2 will either get the same set of Units/Buildings for himself, or some of Player 1's will be given to them.
      • This provides for design challenges when creating the Quests because unlike Player 1, Player 2 can be from any civilization. So you could, for example, play as the Persians whilst still playing the Roman campaign Quests with your partner. We realize that this means that your Units won't have any gear whilst playing in these types of Quests, but we think that being able to play them together with your friend has higher priority.

2019 Donation Goal
    ==================

Donation_Goal_2019.png
    We want to thank you all for the donation support throughout the year.

In total we have collected $3,670 which is 122% of our yearly goal of $3,000.

This allows us to fund both the public and the private server for a whole year and any additional services we need to run Project Celeste, which wouldn't be possible without your support.

You can find a list of the top Donations HERE and HERE. Thank you so much, you're all heroes!

(PF2K's Personal Note: I would also like to thank everyone who has supported the PvP scene throughout the year. We couldn't have organized the tournaments that we have without your help! You can find a list of all donations towards the PvP scene in the information channel of the PvP Discord.)

All current and future content will stay 100% free and accessible to everyone.

In order to save development time for the Romans, the Weekly Blogs will be posted once every two weeks from now on (unless something special comes up).

========
    Thank you so much for reading, and we will see you all next time!
    Project Celeste Development Team

What do you think about this week's blog? What would you like to see next? Let us know in the comments below!

========
    Missed the Roman Civilization's announcement? Find out about it HERE.

Project Celeste is completely free and always will be. However, we gladly accept donations for our overhead costs, which are larger than we have budgeted. If you want to support us, you can do so HERE.

Read every Romans related blog HERE.

Tell your friends! Join our Discord HERE.
    ========

Mikey242, Dimm, Robcore and 20 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Developer Update 2020
    1. PF2K
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. PF2K
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. PF2K
      Replies:
      Views:
    4. PF2K
      Replies:
      Views:
    5. PF2K
      Replies:
      Views:

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by PF2K, May 2, 2020.

1. Zayl

Zayl Villager

Thanks for all the hard work.

Regarding the things that confuses new players that i noticed are the ability pick milestones from other civs, many players (even regular and pro ones) still dont know it it seems which is weird but i noticed it a lot of times already to say that maybe some notification is necessary( there is a milestone notification but i dont know about the ability of picking from other civs)

2. WiriWout

WiriWout Moderator
      Staff Member Moderator

When I first started playing, I remember being overwhelmed by all the buttons, regions, and options. Being a player that wants to know every button and every option I should be using, this required a lot of learning right when I started playing. It required so much learning that I got discouraged and quit playing for a few weeks.

I can only imagine what the new player experience must be like today, with even more buttons on the home city UI, and every piece of content unlocked. Everything free off the bat is great, but it's also a lot. The newly added 'play' button was a great addition for overwhelmed new players, and I think more steps in that direction would be good.

To this end, one direction I see is a Marcus Pollox rework. It was never the intention of the original developers to have new players play the booster packs on their first playthrough. I think it would be a good idea to introduce much of the content Marcus offers at a later stage. In addition to making the game less overwhelming, this could serve to create a sense of achievement, a rewarding feeling when you unlock a load of new content.

3. PedroAlmeida72

PedroAlmeida72 Woad Raider

It’s good to know that in the Romans quest pack will always be possible to play each quest in co-op mode. Once you talked about that, let me just remember one thing that is creating some problems in the community: the new Lodi quest pack where co-op is absolutely required and demanded. Sometimes if we cannot have a co-op partner we get stuck without any possibility of playing the regular easy quests in order to release the legendary quests. In the classic quests sometimes when players need a co-op partner for being obligatory to play in co-op mode, other players would sometimes join in and get out of the quest just to go around those limitations. That is not possible to do in the majority of this quest pack because many times we need to send Commontorios and Brennos to a certain destination. In my opinion it would be better for the player to have the possibility of choosing co-op or single player in each and every quest.

Another suggestion i would like to give would be the possibility of skipping a non-repetable quest that was already made in another different civilization for FREE and of course without receiving any prize for it’s completion (gold and chests). In my opinion, the long process of “liberating” legendary quests in all civs turns to be annoying and even worst when the romans come out because we will then have 7 civilizations. It would be great if you guys could at least reduce to 2 or 3 civilizations requirement for each non-repetable quest and then the possibility to skip the same quest on the rest of the civilizations.
      As things are on this matter for the moment, demands too many hours of gameplay from each player on each and every civilizations and many of them may gave up in the repetitive process, remaining with only some quest pack done in only one or two civilizations and sometimes don’t even get to level 40 with some of them.

Anyway, you guys are doing a really incredible job on this game. Congratulations for that and keep up the good work!

#4 PedroAlmeida72, May 2, 2020 at 1:03 PM
      Last edited: May 2, 2020
    4. RacketyPurse

RacketyPurse Champion

So let's start by order, the extra touch for vanity objects was one of the few units that didn't have their own visual style, well done !!! even the writing that indicates that the warehouse cannot be packed is also a great thing (not very satisfying for us players, but it is still a small good thing). There is also little to say about the changes in the seer crow, and these new additions also seem to me about the new Celtic buff. As for the changes made to the Advisors I still have some doubts, Themistocles I have never seen him as a good legendary Advisor valid to use and I hardly believed on him, I for the third legendary advisor I would have bet on the Greek infantry, a hoplite general would have made a good impression. On the Advisor Combutis be the change seems a good thing compared to its old features, good for a novice player, almost completely useless for a veteran player. Then, as usual, I can only praise your splendid work and the Roman campaign got off to a really good start, I never want to question your works and your ideas but sometimes hearing the opinions of the players helps reinforce the gaming community. Thanks for what you do we look forward to new updates

5. KazMx

KazMx Long Swordsman

I'm interested to see what's the use of Combutis right now. Do you keep or are able to keep this type of information? The use seems limited to some kind of quest that early defense buildings are essential.

Aldo I was saving for a Themistokles to try a ballista strategy. Right now, the unavailability of the advisor tell me I should have saved earlier xD.

Great changes overall the celtic mine is a nice welcome, the seer and raven changes I think will be used a lot more.

6. Kulcsos12

Kulcsos12 Hippikon

Elephant scepters? Pfff... Imhotep Scepter! Best Scepter!
      However some of the Vanity Staves doesn't work. Black Cat and Summer Vanity Staves turns into a Legendary "Jewel-Covered Scepter" no matter what is your equipped Scepter. I think the other "Celeste" Vanity Sets also has this bug.

For me, the Celtic Gold Mine is the most annoying building in the game.
      1. Most of the time, you can't place it on a Gold Deposit. The new Celeste maps are so nice and detailed but this don't allow you to build the mine on the deposit because something (wall, tree, cliff or other decoraions) are too close. Some times its just turn to red to show its not allowed to build but magically allow to build it when you click on it btw. Some times the you can build it if you rotate it. Some times this don't help and you need to build a Storehouse if you want that gold.
      2. Villagers stand next to the mine after they built it. Why are they don't enter automatically and gather that gold?
      3. Garrisoned Villager counter is basicly impossible to read. Worse than the Arctic Fox Furs was earlier.
      4. Lack of information on Stat Card. What is that bonus gold conservation? What is that efficient gathering? 10% gathering speed? 15%? What is the maximum capacity? All of these informations should be on the Stat Card.
      Thank you for developing and improving this game!

bbgambini and ProfessorCatPro like this.
    7. WiriWout

WiriWout Moderator
      Staff Member Moderator

After you placed the structure, select your villagers, shift click on the structure, and the villagers will go inside after the building is finished.

Hawkster and Exclusive0r like this.
    8. Kulcsos12

Kulcsos12 Hippikon

I don't know why, but this don't work for me every time. Sometimes they still stand next to the built mine. Maybe, did I clicked on a gold deposit instead of the Structure? Hm...o_O

9. WiriWout

WiriWout Moderator
      Staff Member Moderator

Yes it's easy to missclick and click on the mine instead

10. CriticalCurio

CriticalCurio Long Swordsman

You are guys truly amazing !

11. ProfessorCatPro

ProfessorCatPro Spearman

Thank you for saying it I was planning on saying it on the development thread last week but they decide to skip it, but it's really nice to see that I'm not the only one who has an issue with this. I can never find a co-op partner and I don't know anyone who likes these kinds of games as well so I can't just convince one of my friends to do co-op with me.

12. Wololoo

Wololoo Champion

As usual great work guys - You are awesome, where would we be without you :)
      Can't wait for Romans to arrive

You ask what confuses new players.
      Below are a few areas of confusion I repeatedly see in the game.

1) Advanced / normal workshops 2+8 etc.
      eg Why can't I build a 3rd weavers workshop for making silk in my town?

2) Priest staffs with increased damage stat
      - Does the added damage improve conversion? (AFAIK no)
      - Does the added damage help Celt druids attack enemy units? (AFAIK no)
      - What does the damage help with?
      (AFAIK it just helps when killing wild animals on the map)
      - So why do so many staffs have added damage stat? (Good question :) )

3) Train time reduction eg Silver-Point Arrows
      eg I've equipped my TC's with Silver-Point Arrows & they are not training vills any quicker?

4) Gear stats generally:
      - What does Critical Hit Chance do? - x2 damage / x3 damage or what?
      - What is Melee-Cavalry Armor?
      Added protection for Melee units when being attacked by Cavalry or
      Added protection for Cavalry units when being attacked by Melee units ?
      - What is bonus damage protection & how does this work?
      - What is splash damage / pierce armor / snare / snare resist etc ?
      - How does Maximum Range:+10.3% work on my lvl 21 Spartan Soldier Heavy Spear :)

I think that If anyone knowledgeable ever has the time to write an article about gear stats, how they work & how to use them, this would be enormously appreciated by many players.

#13 Wololoo, May 2, 2020 at 9:38 PM
      Last edited: May 9, 2020
    13. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

We want to make the Roman Questline as enjoyable as possible. Allowing everyone to jump in and out of coop as seamlessly as possible should hopefully improve the experience. If anyone has more ideas about that, please speak up.

14. Exclusive0r

Exclusive0r Immortal

Isn't time to admit Celeste surpassed MS ??? ;);)

bbgambini likes this.
    15. Exclusive0r

Exclusive0r Immortal

If you are patient someone will pick up on the co op window. I have 2.5 (Greeks, Persians thru, Celt 1/2 way) just from the co op window
      Anyway I will help you if you want ...:):)

Celt almost done now

#16 Exclusive0r, May 3, 2020 at 8:31 AM
      Last edited: May 5, 2020
    16. MatrixSoft

MatrixSoft Champion

I am grateful for all the excellent work done in the game, but I was frustrated, as well as @PedroAlmeida, for not having the option to disable the cooperative for the new Lodi missions.
      But those that can be played alone are really cool, as I don't have a lot of time currently available to play, it's hard to match a friend's free time.
      But I understand that it is really necessary to have exclusive maps for coop.
      I liked the adjustments of this update, it's refining the game, removing the edges.

MainMan B and RacketyPurse like this.
    17. Exclusive0r

Exclusive0r Immortal

Meet new friends play with strangers - that is what it's all about - possibley ... maybe ...

MatrixSoft likes this.
    18. Aaron

Aaron Berserker

The metalworking school definitely caused some issues back then. You are forced to reset schools if you didn’t knew that Celt is the only one who can access it.

Hawkster and MatrixSoft like this.
    19. bbgambini

bbgambini Hippikon

But it was announced a looong time before the release that the new quest pack were coop only (most). So we knew we had to call up a buddy.

MatrixSoft and Exclusive0r like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice