Guide - Part 6 - Roman Gear

Discussion in 'PvE Tips & Tutorials' started by Aryzel, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Aryzel

Aryzel Immortal

A bit early but wanted to get a feel for what the Romans might look like for myself and decided to share, Will update as more info is released. There were whole aspects of Romans that I'd forgotten about until I went over all the Roman blogs again.

See the sheet attached for an initial rundown of units and gear slots. Many important slots don't have suggestions yet, but some straightforward ones do, which may be helpful if you want to do some early gear gathering now.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...o61pzQyDTPILsaH6f_XTx-fXo/edit#gid=1378146244

Here is my summary of some aspects of Rome that will feel different than other civs:

Units:
    • Engineer - is a second building construction unit that will use work tools, so getting a Divine Hammer of Construction will be very helpful for these. Also could mean that you might prefer to use a Kaveh hammer on your villagers instead of going Divine Hammer for them too. Will depend a bit on how the civ plays. Engineer might also be anti-siege dmg, so depending on stats and your strategy you might want a set of dmg gear.
    • Will have 3 core unit buildings as usual, but each will produce multiple types (inf, cav, ranged) so slight different than just barracks, stables, archery range, but should be easy enough to get used to once we start playing.
    • Strong siege including an anti-unit siege in age 3.
    • Don't know full set of units yet or stats or build restrictions on officer units, so can't describe how they line up or will be used yet.
    Buildings:
    • Miliaria - posts you can build throughout the map that give move speed boost in area around them. Probably want extra set of Line of Sight gear for these.
    • Castellum - these are equivalent to barracks, but in Age 3 you can upgrade them to also be mini-fortresses. No idea on stats yet and probably want to keep unit building gear on them, but might want to consider having Fortress type gear too, no idea on stats yet so very subject to change.

bbgambini, Ardeshir, Baller38 and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

Talking with Andy I can confirm the Engineers will have seige multipliers (don't know the exact amount, probably subject to change from what it is right now). Good point you make about Kaveh viability on Roman villagers. With a big emphasis on engineers being the builder unit (to a greater extent than Norse infantry too), it'll definitely be worth stacking gathering on workers, and ms/build speed/defensive stat on macro-based engineers.

4. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

That is what we have in mind, though regardless of our ideas, the player base will always find even more appropriate gearing strategies.

Ardeshir likes this.
  5. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

Maybe they'll see frequent use as actual anti-seige squadrons come lategame? 1pop anti seige would be real nice to have, especially if they can rebuild faster than normal villagers. Saves you having to have both cavs and villies at home just to defend/repair/reconstruct on big maps where you're trying to push in pvp or vs the harder quest AI. Heck even on the front lines, no need to bring up villagers to build/repair and keep something melee in reserve to block rams.

6. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

A late Age 4 Engineer spam is actually high on our list to keep an eye on. It’s not ideal, and we don’t want to inadvertently create Frankenstein’s monster.

Ardeshir likes this.
  7. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

Wait, they'd be that good cause they can just mass engis and wood/stone and start forting or towering up, guard it coupled with some anticav or antiranged depending on MU (get some to help snipe seige quicker than engis if needed), and tower/fort creep better than anyone? dang lol I'm keen to try them, roll back the ram nerfs just for XvR :D (kidding)

Andy P XIII likes this.
  8. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

You got it. That's the concern out of the gate. I promise that kind of exploit won't ever see the light of day though. But now that we are talking about it, I will try it some night myself and let you know how it goes.

Ardeshir likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice