Impossibly Cold Cataclysm - Thought from a solo perspective

Discussion in 'PvE General Discussion' started by frogs.poison, Dec 26, 2021.

1. frogs.poison

frogs.poison Immortal

With Impossibly Cold Cataclysm being the first winter legendary I have solo'd, I have come to offer my thoughts on it.

While it's nearly a 100% copy of Impossible Cataclysm, the biggest difference is the presence of a land-bridge between the nearest AI, and the large AI base on the north part of the map. Due to this, you'll have to fend off attacks constantly unlike in Impossible Cataclysm. Additionally, it becomes paramount that you quickly clear the nearest AI before the top AI reinforces them with unending waves of mobs.

Beyond that, it plays out fairly similar to Impossible Cataclysm. Egypt, Rome, Greeks, and Persia have a easy time completing the map due to their siege boats, whereas Babylon, Norse, and Celts will have a harder time overall.

For the first objective, using a scout to evade-tank the fortress while infantry destroy it in the early game is unfortunaately impossible - The Ice Fortress has 100% accuracy and cannot be evade-tankd. It also has higher damage then the regular Fortress found on Impossible Cataclysm, so of course you need to rush out long-range siege. This is easy to do on Egypt, where you can quickly age up, on Greeks, in which Socrates propels you forward through the ages quickly, and only slightly harder on Persia, where the A2 research advisor shines by allowing you to quickly advance to A4, just at a steeper cost.

For Rome, you will need to rush Palintonins to take out the fortress in a timely manner. Unfortunately, the extra minute required to research Ennerris champion prevents you from using Ennerris to take out the fort, though they are quite capable of taking out the closest AI afterwards. Unlike with Impossible Cataclysm, you can build a fortress quite a bit closer due to the larger landmass, so you can quickly begin attacking the fortress.

For Babylon, you will need to rush Palintonins and then assemble a small strike force to quickly take out the first AI. A few royal guardsmen or lancers should be enough to defend your palintonins while they attack, at which point you can turtle and concentrate on booming.

For Norse, you will need to rush Log Throwers. Again, you can create fortresses closer to the fort then on Impossible Cataclysm, which helps significantly in reducing the amount of time needed to destroy the fort. Keep in mind that Timo will help significantly in destroying the fort and the near AI base in a timely manner. You will need a larger strike force to defend your throwers due to their much shorter range compared to palins.

This quest is far more difficult for Celts then other civs, and a bit more difficult then Norse. While Stone Throwers are on par with Log Throwers in terms of overall power, Celts have a higher gold cost for advancing through the ages and having to create the full 20 houses quickly at the start takes villagers away from collecting resources. Thus wheres Norse arrive in A4 with 12 houses producing a significant amount of wood, Celts are behind in terms of resource production at the same point.

SILLY POST HEAD: For India, you can simply make a few Juggernauts which will quickly and easily tear through the entirety of the AI. As you simple take Juggernauts to stomp through the AI be before they even hit A3, this quest is probably the easiest on India then any other civ. Juggernauts OP plz nerf.

If anyone has different observations or think that I am simply incorrect, please be sure to let me know below.

MainMan B likes this.
  2. Loading...