Need data to update wiki -- can you help?

Discussion in 'PvE General Discussion' started by Kenji03, Jun 3, 2019.

?

Do you use the Fandom wiki?

Poll closed Dec 3, 2019.
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. I didn't, but will now

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No/never will

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kenji03

Kenji03 Berserker

I'm the current administrator of the Fandom wiki for Age of Empires Online, I would like to update it with all the new content added by the Project Celeste team, as well as fill out some of the older data that wasn't entered that came out between launch and the game shutting down (mostly missing quest info).

The thing is, I have a full-time job and do not have as much free time as I used to. I do, however, have expendable income and friends in 3rd world countries who can put in an hours worth of work for $1.00 USD.

So... what I need is screenshots or other "data" that I can get my friends to enter onto the wiki. This is where you come in: If anyone is willing to screen shot the new quest dialog, the in-progress dialog, and the dialog before turning in a completed quest, I can get my friends to update the wiki with that info -- giving all users a better resource to help them navigate this game.

Alternately, info on the new items is also required -- as I don't have a lot of free time and just recently popped level 40 on one of the civs. So I don't have the recipes for the new content or any info on their stats either.

Slyrevick and Ardeshir like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

My highest civs are in the 20s still, so I don't know of how much help I can be outside of playing through Norse campaign in the short term. I'm sure the elite quest veterans would be able to help with all the new content though. Are you looking to flesh out the wiki with more PvP information?

Kenji03 likes this.
  4. Kenji03

Kenji03 Berserker

First, thank you for taking interest!

I'm mostly looking at fleshing out the PVE content, as that is the stuff that I imagine most people want to find info on when using the wiki.

As per PVP, I don't do PVP and while content regarding PVP is welcome, I have no idea how useful it would be to add it to the wiki when it is regularly being re-balanced.

As per under level 20 content, the Celtic main quests are also not quite fleshed out, so if you can get screen caps of those that would be helpful

Ardeshir likes this.
  5. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

I'll have to have a crack at the celt questline then! You're right about wikis being far more useful to PvE'ers for sure, I think it's just a nice touch for a game's wiki to cover some basics, and some things that tend to get overlooked in most people's guides, like map resource densities, how important the water control is if there's water, and rush distances.

General advice for PvP and map specifics aren't going to be hedged on civ balance changes. The only worry would be if you're looking to have information about build-orders and strengths/weaknesses that isn't being updated going forward.

Are we free to edit and contribute as guests/anonymously/with sign up?

6. Kenji03

Kenji03 Berserker

Yes, that is the whole point of a wiki -- that anyone can change/edit it. I would be beyond happy to have you edit things to your hearts content.

Generally on wikis if an edit is made that someone else (anyone else) disagrees with, the other just changes it. Don't take it personally, just change it back and start a discussion as per why you feel it should be the way you had it (there is a separate page you can make for discussions).

Edit: For a time I tried to screencap images of the PVP maps, but that got tiring. If you want something to do for fun, there are hidden quests for doing the Skirmis modes (like playing on every map, playing against every AI, etc). I haven't found them all yet, but I'd like those documented if you find skirmishes to be a lot of fun.

Ardeshir likes this.
  7. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

The only hidden one I'd stumbled across was a win vs ai on every mode (conquest, standard, wonder), and it's standard or above I think? I'll play a wonder game on one of my lower civs and find out sometime.

I didn't think there was one for playing/winning every map, cause I'd been asking about adding quests for that and hadn't been told that existed, but then again casual skirmish is the most ignored/underplayed part of the game since it got revived hahaha. I can give that a go. I do like skirmish, but I do find it less immersive than playing through regular quests. It gives me the same mindless ai bashing feeling playing aoe2 or starcraft vs ai does after a few games, and having more quests for skirmish, or more skirmish-like quests in Cyprus and Sparta could fix that I think.

8. Kenji03

Kenji03 Berserker

https://ageofempiresonline.fandom.com/wiki/Hidden_Skirmish_Quests

These are the ones I found, they pop up on the victory screen when you've completed one of the requirements.

9. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

Ah, for some reason I thought no contest was a quest you picked up. Must have been from seeing it show after a win vs one of the ais I hadnt beaten before. I'll have to try bring your passport, and I'll have to ask the devs to add some more quests that differ and can be worked on alongside, either shown, or hidden and with a shown master quest.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice