server unavailable

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Mikey, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Mikey

Mikey Spearman

hi there

i am trying to play protect the wonder in crete and five minutes in the game closes and i get the message "server is unavailable at this time". this has happened over and over again. the other evening it happened 45 minutes into a quest... is there anything i can try to sort this?

many thanks

Mikey

2. Loading...

3. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

Hey Mikey,
    The game is notoriously picky with connections, and if you're prone to packet-bleed (over patchy wireless, or cause your ISP's routing is funky), don't have ports 1001-1005 UDP open, or have a really restrictive antivirus or firewall you can run into all sorts of trouble.

While that is the same message as youll get when the servers go down, if you can relog instantly then it'll probably be your ISP or local connection responsible

Wartai likes this.
  4. Mikey

Mikey Spearman

thanks very much for that! i pinged google 1000 times and only one ping failed. the speed was good. does the game give up if only one ping fails ?
    many thanks :)

5. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

I'm not sure about a 1/1000 loss causing disconnection.

Perhaps I'm best off asking @Wartai or @NCSGeek what they think the problem might be. They're the tech support gurus :D

6. Wartai

Wartai Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

well it certainly does sound like your losing packets.. I get it from time to time, not often though..
    See if it continues .. The game is very sensitive when it comes to unstable connections, a small packet loss can cause problems

Ardeshir likes this.
  7. Mikey

Mikey Spearman

thanks very much both of you. i am not a tech genius, what can i try ?
    many thanks

8. Mikey

Mikey Spearman

thanks

9. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

Are you on Wifi or a cable?

What's your modem, and can you use a non-proprietary modem with your provider?

Do other people with your provider have a problem with packetloss or spotty connectivity?

10. Mikey

Mikey Spearman

we have the standard box sky send out and i get my internet via a cable plugged in to an access point (draytek ap900). im not aware of anyone elses issues unfortunately.

the only thing i have noticed is - i seem to be able to maintain connection long enough for a quest if i reboot my access point first.

many thanks

11. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

Hmm, sounds like the access point might be the issue, have you by any chance got a longer ethernet cable to try run across the house without the AP or are you able to shift your laptop/tower closer to the modem itself? Not asking you to go and buy a 20/30m cable or tear your house apart, but just wondering if there was a way you could try rule the AP out, because if restarting the AP is giving you some improvement, I'm thinking that may be the issue. I had difficulties trying to play through a router used as an AP (wanted better wifi in my room for my phone) while connected back to the same modem/network I always use.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice