New installation, New OS - can't start game - why?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by ByFstugan, Apr 23, 2021.

1. ByFstugan

ByFstugan Immortal

Just moved my computer to another chassi, with new HD and new installation of OS and AoEo, all else is same as before - but I can't get game to launch. It starts the launch, I see the first images of the game starting, but half way into selecting "Play" and choose civ it just dies - not crashes, just disappears, no errorlogs. I have checked firewall and it's all green on both AoEo and Steam. I have reinstalled both regular and steam installation, but same result. First launches I had problem with .dll files, but I got them from my other computer and it has always worked before to get them like that.

Ofc I have installed the Framework thingy and the other thing it talks about first time you start the game after a clean install. I also tried to start offline, same thing happens. Screen goes black (for fullscreen), first loading screen appear for some seconds - then pop and it's all just gone as if I never started it.

So why doesn't it start? What can I do?

btw... I use Win 10 pro N this time, had without the N last time, but that is just about multimedia stuff, can't be the reason - can it?

EDIT:
    The bold text above was the important issue for me here, check last post by me to see the likelly solve.

#1 ByFstugan, Apr 23, 2021 at 9:08 PM
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  2. Loading...

3. rtsgamer

rtsgamer Immortal

come discord m8, iam on #help channel, i setup yesterday my win10 and aoeo aswell, had some issue but managed to fix them... we can talk in @help channel. greetz.

ByFstugan likes this.
  4. ByFstugan

ByFstugan Immortal

5. ByFstugan

ByFstugan Immortal

I "solved" this by doing everything possible, and nothing worked, so I gave up and started from square one.

In the end I reinstalled windows so I got rid of "Win10 pro N" and installed the regular "Win10 pro" instead, both from same download from MS and same USB. After that reinstall and just the basic installations AoEo started first try.

rtsgamer likes this.
  6. ByFstugan

ByFstugan Immortal

So, now I heard (beside that I though I had noticed) that it was the OS that was the problem, "Win10 pro N" lacks and needs this (copy from Discord/Help):

//Wartai — Today 07:45
    @ByFstugan Thats because Windows 10 N needs the Media Pack installed//

...if someone else get same problem you might not need reinstall OS as I did, which was a solve, but with no clue to why. If he is right, which I assume, this is the solve likelly.

rtsgamer likes this.
  7. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

Bot post nobody cares

Sorry to not get onto this thread sooner mate. Used to work in a pc sales and repairs shop. Windows 10 N is basically Windows 10 but with minimal to no allowance for 3rd party apps. If it's not on the windows store it can't be installed without registry edits and other changes that just aren't worth the time, and/or nobody's bothered to try bootleg x specific program for use in windows 10 N. It's basically for devices (lower end 3rd party laptops and microsoft surface tablets) that are "supposed" to be used for entry level corporate and educational work. Oftentime it's cause they're borderline unusable for anything more complex than browser games and the office package anyway lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice