Milestone techs from other civs - what would help Norse Throwing Axeman?

Discussion in 'PvE General Discussion' started by HikingMike, Oct 9, 2023.

1. HikingMike

HikingMike Spearman

I just realized that I can pick milestone techs from my other civs. Whoops, lol. I don't know if this was in the original game or Project Celeste added it in an update at some point.

Anyway, I realized I could think of this option a little differently. Say I want to focus on one civ or one particular unit like the Norse Throwing Axeman. I can then choose my milestone techs in my other civs a certain way in case it helps the Norse Throwing Axeman (and then select that from within Norse) rather than just thinking first of the current civ it's acting on. Most of my civs still have a lot of advancing to do so I don't have them all picked.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what milestone techs from other civs would be really helpful to the Norse Throwing Axeman? Anything that acts on just "infantry" should help (such as Persian "Mustering" which reduces infantry training time or Babylonian "Sturdiness" which increases infantry health). But throwing axemen are also strange because I believe they aren't considered ranged, so thinks improving ranged would not help. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe advisors that act on ranged units do not affect Norse Throwing Axemen. The Persians' "Munitions" which "Increases Ranged damage by 5%" would be no help for them. Too bad because it would be really nice to increase damage. Greek have "Pankrationing" which "Increases Infantry damage by 8%". Can you tell me for sure that would help the Norse Throwing Axeman? I ask since their damage is ranged rather than melee.

So, if I were to pick one milestone tech each from my other civs within my Norse, which could be the best for Norse Throwing Axemen?

Or maybe do you think it would be better for my Norse to pick milestone techs that improve early game economy? Celts have a good one to reduce house cost by 20%, which could be great for Norse also.

Hey, thanks for any input!

bbgambini likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. frogs.poison

frogs.poison Immortal

Pankrationing from Greeks - 8% damage boost.
    Sturdiness from Babylon - 8% health boost.
    That's the 2 main ones - For Rome and Egypt, 9/10 times you pick decreased building cost (Rome lvl 40), faster build time (Egypt lvl 5), because the overall eco boost these give is almost always better then the alternatives for infantry builds.
    Celts have several good ones - Athleticism makes your infantry faster, and Weapons Master should let your throwing axemen crit (Maybe, crit has been bugged for Celts).
    Persia doesn't really have anything good- 5% reduced train time translates into something like .2 seconds or so off Throwing Axemen train time, and you can already reduce that down to like 6 seconds.

Also, for Norse - The trickiest one is the lvl 40 one, and you should always, always pick Adaptiveness, it's a huge defensive boost in most older legendary quests, and a better boost then Parry in all other quests. Sunder vs Frenzy are pretty much on par with each other, though I'm partial to Sunder myself.

Good set of "guides" here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...o61pzQyDTPILsaH6f_XTx-fXo/edit#gid=1801545957 though some are outdated now. Milestones are still relevant though.

Also, what's your in-game name? I have numerous Axe of Piercing Frosts, which are best weapon at lvl 40 for Throwing Axemen, I'll send you one in the mail.

4. knyght_byte

knyght_byte Spearman

im just coming back in to the game after a long break. But i do remember having a lot of fun with axemen :D I'd say look at damage mostly, they are not strong guys defensively, so no point adding to that as a % increase wont add much. But add to their damage and they are a lot of fun. Especially when you have a huge amount of them haha.

5. HikingMike

HikingMike Spearman

Hey yeah those look like great ones. I especially like the damage.

Good to know, thanks. Actually Norse and Egyptian are my two favorite civs to play, and only ones at level 40 so far. I have decreased building build time on the Egyptian. I haven't leveled up Rome yet.

Yeah I wonder if there would be enough critical hits to make that actually noticeable. That is always fuzzy to me.

Shoot well I have Parry set instead of Adaptiveness. My thought was to make my Norse have really good infantry since they have Berserkers and Throwing Axemen. I might reconsider though. I suppose if I have enough Throwing Axemen they shouldn't be doing melee anyway. I have Frenzy rather than Sunder, and it's probably a good thing for more attack rate on a Throwing Axeman. I know those Marduk's bow or whatever with attack rate from a Halloween event are pretty huge.

My name is HikingMike in the game too. I do have the Axe of the Piercing Frost on mine already. It's a beast! Thanks for everything.

Oh yeah, massing throwing axemen is a lot of fun. I have some extra range on them with the axe and the advisors, so even more of them can be shooting at one thing, lol. Yep, I focus on damage with them.

6. frogs.poison

frogs.poison Immortal

So, in AoEO, you are going to have tens, if not hundreds of thousands of "hits" in pretty much every match. With the 2% crit milestone, you'll have hundreds or thousands of crits. Without that milestone, and no other sources of crit? 0 crits. With that said, it's still an overall increase of roughly 2% damage a game, so Athleticism can be a better pick. Up to you

[/QUOTE]Shoot well I have Parry set instead of Adaptiveness. My thought was to make my Norse have really good infantry since they have Berserkers and Throwing Axemen. I might reconsider though. I suppose if I have enough Throwing Axemen they shouldn't be doing melee anyway. I have Frenzy rather than Sunder, and it's probably a good thing for more attack rate on a Throwing Axeman. I know those Marduk's bow or whatever with attack rate from a Halloween event are pretty huge.
    [/QUOTE]

Big ouch. Good news is that getting Empire Points is extremely easy now, getting that 1k can be easily done. Bad news? Adaptiveness is incredibly strong on quests with high Bonus Damage on units - on quests where units get a large 2.9x bonus it's essentially equal to 10% extra health, and far more on units with high bonus damage - over 5x bonus damage it's basically equal to 20% damage reduction. Even on quests where units don't get extra bonus damage, it's still a very good milestone as it helps remove a bit of damage off pretty much all ranged units (Which tend to have a minor amount of bonus damage from gear) and counter units - It's also huge on cavalry based civs since all spearman in the game have incredibly high bonus damage vs cavalry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice