SOLVED How do you use cavalry?

Discussion in 'Installation' started by MilesSawyer, Feb 9, 2020.

1. MilesSawyer

MilesSawyer Villager

So I started playing AOE2 when DE was on sale for the lunar New Year and it's been AMAZING. One thing I'm having trouble getting my head wrapped around is how to use cavalry effectively as a cavalry civ. Conceptually I understand that they are high mobility units designed for hit and run tactics but in practice they get absolutely SHREDDED by pikemen. I know it's supposed to be a counter but pikemen are just so damn cheap and easy to mass and while I shouldn't just mash them into the enemy army, when they come marching on my town, I don't know how else to stop them as a cavalry civ. I guess my question is, do I not mass cavalry units as a cavalry civ and instead maintain an infantry core army with cavalry only as support?reverse phone lookupnba redditpcpartpicker

#1 MilesSawyer, Feb 9, 2020 at 7:39 AM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  2. CWO

CWO Long Swordsman

You're probably better off talking about AOE2DE in their official forum ( https://forums.ageofempires.com/c/age-of-empires-ii/104 ) since this is a forum for Age of Empires Online which is a different game in the Age of Empires series.

But generally with any strategy game it's all about countering and countering the counter. Games are rarely won at a higher level by throwing only one type of unit at your opponent. You should mix in some anti-infantry with your cavalry to weaken the pikemen before they carve up your cavalry.

bbgambini likes this.
  3. bbgambini

bbgambini Hippikon

^^pick em off with Archers/Ranged units.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice