Event & Questpack longevity suggestions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by destroyerarcher, Sep 22, 2022 at 12:38 AM.

Tags:
  1. destroyerarcher

destroyerarcher Woad Raider

In the original AoEO, there were no large-scale seasonal events beyond selling a few vanity store items. Of course, this changed with Project Celeste, where events are now a major cornerstone of progression and new content. Event gear often provide unique and powerful stats that significantly alter how you play to freshen up the gameplay loop of questing. That being said, the idea of event fatigue is an idea I always thought would eventually occur for many players, and given how people react to many of the summer gear items, I think especially for the Summer event, people have gotten fatigued over the current system. Personally, in the most recent Summer event, I farmed a decent amount, enough to use up all my 21 cheap crafts, and still am a bit far away from getting all the gear released THAT YEAR I personally would like to use, let alone the gear from previous years.

Thus, I have some ideas that could help with ensuring events can last without burning off the playerbase and avoiding continual gear creep. Gear ideas are finite, and if half or more of all new gear in a given year are added in these limited time events, it leaves a bad taste for many players. While I do have some ideas about completely removing events and integrating their gear into the year-long game economy, those will have to wait for another time, as that is an even more complex topic.

Event System Suggestions:

My first idea may be controversial, but I think that each event should stop receiving new gear for that event when it has around 20-25 unique gear pieces. I see the sentiment around the community that especially Summer gear from the past two years is disappointing, and I wonder if part of that is because they simply are fatigued from the sheer quantity of gear added per summer event. To curb people getting exhausted from too many items available per event, and especially new players looking into getting new gear for a unique build, but then find 4 or more gear items for their hypothetical build are from events, setting a limit for the amount of new gear added specifically for events helps curb this fatigue. One exception I would have for adding new event gear is with new gear types, so that specific gear type can get a regen, ignore armor, or some other event-related stat.

Event gear for materials should be the 4-5 most in demand items, as they would encourage earning the event materials, and if there are concerns about their supply flooding the market, then the craft cost could be increased to around double the first year craft cost. Given the sheer amount of event gear by that point and how new players often look for unique event gear, I do not think that they will become worthless for any player outside the top 10. In a similar fashion, gear for event points should all cost the same amount of points per event regardless of how many units can actually use it - let perceived value decide the choice. You may intend an item to be used in a certain manner, but given the nature of looter and buildcrafting games, it is not rare for someone to devise a unique, powerful usage of an item originally intended for one unit. The amount of returning gear through the point store could be 5-10 when no new event gear is added, if having gear be unavailable and the list be tidy is of utmost importance.

The reason I think event gear should not be too out of reach and the quantity kept in check is because when compared with other horizontally focused progression systems in PvE looters, the only one that personally comes to mind is Destiny 2. Event systems similar to the ones in AoEO are what I personally have primarily encountered in vertical progression, where the goal is getting stronger directly over the decision on gear being only focused on what stat will suit your build better. The average time to get new event gear in AoEO averages around two or three hours, but with many returning gear, the grind often goes beyond that, and the lengthiest grind for an event item in AoEO is Ra’s Hammer, at 60k summer points which likely would take the average player 30 or so hours to earn a single stat-altering item in an event that is limited time.
    In addition, the average amount of gear added per year through means an average player can feasibly achieve compared with the amount of gear added in events disproportionally favors the events. The time after 2021’s Summer event and 2022’s summer event is quite a significant contrast - while 9! new event gear were added in total across 2021 Halloween, Winter, and 2022 Summer, a measly two permanent gear were added that are available all-year long, Ashoka’s Golden Gorget and Esfandiyar’s Divine Breastplate. In contrast, Destiny 2, another horizontally focused looter with seasonal events with unique gear, only introduces 1 new unique piece of gear each event, which usually only take around 15 minutes to get any copy of at all with the caveat of random rolls, and the amount of new gear added almost permanently each three months generally totals around 20. As a result, events in Destiny 2 does not run into the same problem of having the majority of new gear locked behind a one-month event. Flooding each event with gear that requires a relatively length grind resembles more of an event found in a looter with linear vertical progression than a system that compliments a game with a predominantly horizontal gear system.

To ensure the longevity of event gear, they should have balance passes on underpowered and overpowered event gear to make them all appealing. Some event gear, such as the Spear of the Piercing Frost are commonly considered by the community to overall overperform for units in tough legendary quests. In contrast, certain gear, such as Ishtar’s Sword and Ashur’s Arrows, are considered to be generally underperforming by the majority of long-term players. The most important part is that they are strong enough to be chosen for all sorts of quests without choking other options in the same slot.
    If no new event gear is added, then before that point, there could be a craftable recipe for one new event gear for summer and halloween. If necessary, a vendor that condenses event materials can be incorporated if the crafting list for that item becomes too long. This would give a reason to keep playing events in the long run, even when no new event gear is added, as players will keep crafting that specific gear in the chase for the perfect roll. Instead, new consumable recipes could be added for each event, or every other event, if there is a need for new loot in events, as players will indeed use consumables on quests, despite the meme about consumables being bad.

Celeste Quest Pack Longevity:

Another thing I’ve noticed is that many questpacks have an uneven distribution on how many players engage with the quests offered.
    For a start, the rewards from the "kill bosses" global quest available in those regions could have their rewards buffed. The easier ones to achieve could have it increased to 30 while the ones with multiple different bosses such as Lodi and Urd could reward 50, or even more, advanced epic materials instead. Questpacks without a quest that works on their bosses, could receive a global quest for that purpose.
    There could also be unique gear rewards added to that quest pack that can be earned multiple times to encourage players to come back to quests they may have neglected or never played before. How this can be implemented could be done in multiple ways:
    The first is making each celeste questpack have unique chests that have a chance of awarding that unique legendary. Thanks to the new drop table revamps, the rates can be tuned in a way that would suit how generally useful the item can be.
    A second method I thought of is taking a page from events, and making each legendary quest in a given questpack award a questpack specific material in quantities based on its difficulty. After earning enough quest materials, just like in seasonal events, they can be handed in a quest that would award the item.
    The third method is actually something that PF2K mentioned as an original concept for the Socrates questpack. There would be a repeatable quest that requires completing all elite/legendary quests in the questpack and after completing all those quests, you would get the mentioned item. Of course, there is nothing that necessitates the Socrates pack must have a training time wall as its unique repeatable legendary, so another gear idea could be used instead.

Also, here are some gear ideas that could be used with the idea of unique repeatable questline gear, and my reasoning for their balancing. Of course, the names and stats can be altered, but the stat ideas can provide a springboard for future development.

Celeste Quest Pack Gear Ideas:

Athens, Greek Revolt:
    Athena’s Long Arm - Throwing Arm
    +43.87% Damage
    +29.85% Infantry Bonus Damage

Interestingly there is currently no throwing arm that specializes specifically for other units. An infantry bonus throwing arm would make throwing arm units excel more against infantry units, at the cost of dealing less damage against opposing siege, cavalry, and buildings, along with a 8% range loss compared with Elephant Arm.

Tarsos:

Cyrus’ Plated Light Spear - Light Spear
    +37.96% Damage
    +25.260% Pierce Armor
    +25.260% Crush Armor

A counterpart of Light Spear of the King that focuses more on absorbing ranged damage. Because it faces fierce competition with Zahhak and Set’s Spear, the piece armor and crush is high to make it very effective against those damage types.

Babylon:

Breastplate of Zu - Medium Armor
    +64.61% Health
    +33.41% Pierce Armor

Medium armor currently lack an option that specializes against pierce damage, so having a medium armor that handles pierce armor well would be welcomed.

Well of Urd:

Odin’s Far Seeing Sails - Ship Accessory
    +50.2% Line of Sight

A ship accessory providing LoS would counteract the weakness of range builds on boats not seeing deep inside enemy bases. There is an opportunity cost for this, you get the option of seeing the enemy TC buried deep in an island but lose the pop effective hadad's hull or cost effective speedy ashur rudder, but would still be worth the tradeoff on occasion.

Rhakotis:

Bast’s Lion-Hilted Khopesh - Sword
    +48.4% Health
    +12.56% Pierce Armor
    +8.34% Damage

A very solid tanking option for sword units at the cost of damage. The epic variant has a noticeable gap between an average level 35 and the nigh unfarmable level 38 version. By having a legendary version of Bast’s Bloodletter, not only is there a significant competitor for Tiberius easily accessible, but it can get a better role much more easily.

Lodi:

Comontorios’ Bloodied Cleaver - Great Axe
    +63.12% Damage
    +12.55% Speed

A combination of speed and damage that accelerates axe units! Of course, to gain all that speed, a notable amount of damage is lost, making Amun’s still an excellent option for sheer damage.

City of Rome:

Crassus’ Banner of the Scorpion - Banner
    +35.5% Melee-Infantry Armor
    +35.5% Pierce Armor
    +35.5% Melee-Cavalry Armor

Whereas Pompey and Caesar banner focus on mixing health with damage and speed respectively, this banner would focus purely on armor instead, synergizing better with regen. Of course, sometimes the damage or speed is preferred over raw survivability.

Zabol:

Garshasp’s Sturdy Plating - Armor Plating
    +64.61% Health
    +33.41% Melee-Infantry Armor

A compromise between the Legion Warlord and Golden Runic plating that provides a fair amount of both health and infantry armor.

Athens, Aiding Socrates:

Socrates' Swift Spokes - Siege Accessory
    +31.58% Speed
    +19.69% Cost

Providing extreme speed for a price. This would make an excellent choice for getting rams across places but loses out on direct combat stats.

#1 destroyerarcher, Sep 22, 2022 at 12:38 AM
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2022 at 9:16 PM
    frogs.poison, purpleganja and Donar like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Donar

Donar Champion

I like Bast’s Lion-Hilted Khopesh - Sword and Crassus’ Banner of the Scorpion - Banner!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice