What is the deal with the AI in the new celestes quests

Discussion in 'PvE General Discussion' started by garyoakk, Apr 29, 2020.

1. garyoakk

garyoakk Long Swordsman

Hi,

I played aoeo back when it was supported by microsoft. I am happy to find that you guys created new content for the game and it looks pretty nicely done but I was wondering if the AI tuning may be overdone in some quests, and I am not talking about legendary ones.

I have not tried every new quests yet. I recently played some in athens and the well of ur for example. Those quests are supposed to be lvl 30-35 ish recommended if I remember correctly. I play with my lvl 40 city but the AI just keep spamming units constantly. I dont want to play those as if im playing a legendary quest, and I dont want to play for hours in one quest.

I expected something like the original cyprus quests but am I wrong for thinking like that ?

MainMan B likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Aaron

Aaron Berserker

They really should all be labelled as lvl 40 quests. A big part of it is that many of the more experienced players found the original AoEO quests too easy, so the devs decides to cater to the group a bit more by making the new quests a bit harder.

What does "I dont want to play those as if im playing a legendary quest" mean?

Exclusive0r likes this.
  4. Hawkster

Hawkster Champion

I think he is saying that the quest is so hard that he feels like he is playing legendary quest although he is playing normal quest.

Exclusive0r likes this.
  5. Hawkster

Hawkster Champion

The 4 normal quests in Northern Hold that need to be completed in order to visit Well of Urd, are also really hard to play in their recommended level. They were equipting more advanced gears than they need to be.

For example, when I play a quest that says 'recommended level: 32' and I play in lv 40, the enemy have lv 40 gears rather than lv 30ish gears;;

6. garyoakk

garyoakk Long Swordsman

Sorry english isnt my first language.

What I mean is that I play lower level quests to relax and expect a 30min of fun and not too challenging. I also like to try different unit composition, mess around a bit even if its not the optimal way to play.

7. garyoakk

garyoakk Long Swordsman

Exactly and the ennemy send soo many troops without any break.
    I tried this morning one of the well of urd quests and about 5-6min in there was a constant flow of spearman, cavalry and skirmisher in my base and the ally base I had to defend

8. FinishedBlock21

FinishedBlock21 Hippikon

Use those quests to practice, cause if you cannot handle them, you won't be able to handle the leg versions either. Many people reach level 40 unprepared for legendaries cause everything has been too easy. It's always nice to have some more difficult quests for those who like the challenge even while leveling up. Argos, Cyprus and Babylon have easy leveling up quests. The new Celtic pack is pretty easy as well.

Kire and Exclusive0r like this.
  9. garyoakk

garyoakk Long Swordsman

I do play some legendary quests from times to times , I know what I am supposed to do. I think the point im trying to make here is that the quests level or difficulty in general is hidden. Like I understand legendary quest > elite> lvl 40 quests and so on. But after that its unclear.

Im looking for more casual lvl 35-40 quests I guess. In the same way of the original cyprus one.

I like playing aoeo for the insane amount of quests and scenario and the variety of them.
    Quick fun ? ill go to an alliance quest , or a city defense thing in nothern hold.
    challenging quest ? ill do a legendary .

But if I want to do a more traditionnal aoe style quest that does not require a huge amount of time, dedication and micromanaging, I dont really know where to go honestly.

If I compare with the other age of empire games with difficulty settings and stuff, I could choose from the start If I wanted more of a challenge or more a layed back experience. I know aoeo is quite different but heh thats just how I feel.

10. Exclusive0r

Exclusive0r Immortal

The thing is, it's so eeeezy to get to 40 , in all Civ's . then there is a big wall to solo legs. Amazingly Leg Impossible Cat is one of the easiest (even I can do it solo), Breacking bandts the same ... It's about style, due my impairments Im a turtle, .

So when you are new you get easy ... mega hard ... and one can get pissed and rage quit. But then there are "Elite" quests .... also wildly variable. The AI is "build a walls" , some quests they just see "block" and you can channel the baddies then w/o upgrading the wall. Some they see as a red flag to a bull :)

Leg Cat detroy the 2 docks and you can turtle ...

It is what it is ... but we love it 'cos every time you can try new strats , and win a few loose a few ... every time you press "start Quest" it's a chance to get better

just saying ...

#9 Exclusive0r, Apr 29, 2020 at 7:00 PM
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    MainMan B likes this.
  11. garyoakk

garyoakk Long Swordsman

I get what you are saying and I understand. Some people like that kind of quest and progression. I don't. I thought maybe the newer quests celeste provided in the game would satisfy my appetite for the game and be what I was looking for but it doesnt seem to.

Ill probably wait until the romans are out to do their quest line but Im not really eager to do argos cyprus once again

12. Aaron

Aaron Berserker

I heard that the new Lodi quests are designed to be easier than Athens/Well of Urd (except Brennos Attack). There are also the Northern Hold quests with Chief Vemundr that is intermixed with the city defense quests.

Exclusive0r and garyoakk like this.
  13. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

The Athens Quests are very difficult. The non-legendary Celeste quests in Lodi, Tarsos, and Well of Urd should be easier.

CrimsonCantab and Exclusive0r like this.
  14. Exclusive0r

Exclusive0r Immortal

Well apart from Babylon invades they are medium :) Bablyon invades well if you ignore saving heroes it's easy

15. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

16. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

Not quite on topic, but here are the results of a recent player poll regarding the most difficult legendary quests. The hardest stop at the top.

Exclusive0r likes this.
  17. t31os

t31os Berserker

I'm surprised Rescue Me is as far up that list as it is, i'd put that right at the bottom with Renegades.

I assume the highlighting denotes non-celeste / event quests and if that is the case you missed one... (I Know I'm Losing You).

Exclusive0r likes this.
  18. garyoakk

garyoakk Long Swordsman

thanks, not quite on topic indeed but still a nice list. Do you have a list of the lvl 40 quest in general and not only legendary one ?

Maybe something ingame like a player rating could be nice for each quest to help people differentiate wich one are more on the casual easy side and wich ones are more intense. idk for example you click on recapturing soloi and under it there is a little 1-10 scale rating the difficulty .. just thinking out loud right now

19. Exclusive0r

Exclusive0r Immortal

I agree to that, even I can do it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

20. MainMan B

MainMan B Berserker

That list seems quite right, but it says something of the quality of players, that there some quests I cant complete, that isn't on the list.

21. Unknown Maniac

Unknown Maniac Berserker

I would say Helheim is too high. I would put it below Holy Man, to be honest.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice