By PF2K on Aug 26, 2023 at 2:55 PM
  1. PF2K

PF2K Lead Developer
    Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

Fire Ship and Dock Overview
    ==========================

[​IMG]
    It’s been a while since we discussed how we designed the Indians for water maps, so here is a quick recap:

As always, before designing a piece of a new civ, we need to extract the design rules from the existing civilizations.
    • First, in addition to every civ having an Age 1 Fishing Boat and an Age 2 Merchant Transport, every civ in the game also features an Age 2 Basic Warship.
    • Second, every civ generally has a second warship appearing in Age 3 that is classified as an Anti-Ship Ship (such as a Fire Ship or a Ram Ship). (The Celts are an exception, but this remains a general design rule.)
    • Finally, like every other building in the game, Docks never have an age that skips a unit. So no civ has a warship in Age 2, nothing in Age 3, and then an Age 4 ship.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

India is huge and has an entire ocean named after it and a fascinating naval and trade history (notably the Chola of southern India trading with the Aksumites and Nubians of eastern Africa, which prominently connected India to Europe by way of Egypt). But our Indians are based on the northern Indians of the Mauryan Empire, who were known more for their expansive land conquests and cultural influences along the Indus and Ganges Rivers.

So for gameplay purposes, our Indians will focus less on their navy so they can focus more on elephants, farming, and religion. However, they still need to hold their own on water. For that reason, the Indians will have two warships – an all-around Age 2 warship (the Vimana) and an Age 3 Fire Ship.
    We could have opted to give them an Age 3 Ram Ship instead, but the Fire Ship also ties in nicely to another Indian unit, which we have not yet formally revealed – the Fire Monkey. Both units will be equipped with Fire Pots.

The Indians were also well known for their usage of incendiary weapons, which is yet another reason we decided to give them a Fire Ship, instead of a Ram Ship.

[​IMG]

Max and Eamon designed the 3D model of the Fire Ship. Note the use of the Lotus plant design for the fire pot itself – a lovely artful touch to give this unit an Indian feel.
    If you would like to refresh yourselves with the Vimana warship, here’s a link to its blog.

[​IMG]

Blade Chariot & War Elephant Update
    ==================================
    As you may recall, the Indian War Elephant is faster, smaller, cheaper albeit weaker than the Egyptian War Elephant. We previously revealed this unit in another blog, but now we can show you the different looks of the unit, as you improve its gear. See below:

[​IMG]
    It’s been a while since we first announced the Blade Chariot

Since then, Eamon and Max have had a chance to finalize its various models for all gears.
    You will recall that ancient India was well known for its chariots, and the Arthashastra, their ancient war treatise, explains that chariots were one of their four military pillars: elephants (Gaja), chariots (Ratha), cavalry (Turanga), and foot soldiers (Pada).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To balance this unit, our Blade Chariot will be available in Age 3 from the Stables and have a high movement speed, high attack rate, short range, single-unit attack, making it the perfect unit for players who are able to micro their units on the battlefield effectively.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Indian Heroic Vanity
    ==================
    [​IMG]

Civ-specific vanity is obviously less about nuanced game design and more about expressing the tone of the civ in a playful and artful manner. Pretty much everyone on our team collaborated in some way on this topic.

Heroic Vanity sets are often more complex than other sets, because they have to include three different Shields (one for Infantry and Cavalry, one for Ranged units, and one for Babylonian Shields Bearers) and three different Helmets.

[​IMG]

We scoured the internet for flashy Indian weapons and armor and consulted with our resident expert Varadha. Cain drafted up some concept art. Natsata provided the icons. Eamon and Max built the 3D models. These decorative elements are beautiful and look amazing on any unit, and particularly on the Indians.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just like every other Heroic Vanity Gear, the Indian Heroic Vanity set will be made available in Vanity Island once they are released.

As for an update on the progression of the Indian civilization in general, we are now continuing our animation work and are no longer blocked by the lack of animators on the team. Progress is going forward steadily, and we will be sharing more news as they come along.

Thanks for reading, and we look forward to revealing more of the Indians. Please let us know your thoughts and questions below!

All current and future content will stay 100% free and accessible to everyone.

========
    Project Celeste Development Team

What do you think about this week's blog? What would you like to see next? Let us know in the comments below!

========
    The Romans are here! Watch the Overview Trailer.

Project Celeste is completely free and always will be. However, we gladly accept donations for our overhead costs, which are larger than we have budgeted. If you want to support us, you can do so HERE.

Read every Romans related blog HERE.
    Read every Indians related blog HERE.

Tell your friends! Join our Discord HERE.
    ========

#1 PF2K, Aug 26, 2023 at 2:55 PM
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
  2. Loading...

Comments

Discussion in 'Indians' started by PF2K, Aug 26, 2023.

1. Hawkster

Hawkster Champion

So glad to hear that Indian civilization developement has resumed. Keep up the work!

McZwijn and Andy P XIII like this.
    2. frogs.poison

frogs.poison Immortal

The vanity set looks very nice, can't wait to acquire it

arkaram and Andy P XIII like this.
    3. ByFstugan

ByFstugan Immortal

So nice to hear progress is happening in a better speed now. Keep the good work up! :D

Just a reflection. In Age of Empires 2 the Bengalis civ has Ratha as their unique unit, and they made that as a combo unit with both ranged and malee attack - but not as the Persian Immortal - instead this unit can shift between malee and ranged attack formation. Perhaps that could be an nice idea to give Indians a bit more spice also? I would assume the Turanga will have some special bonus attack damage tht the Blade Chariots don't get, so it wouldn't make them obsolete I'd argue.

Also. I hope you make sure to implement the "Start new civ on lev 40" BEFORE the launch of Indians. Also concider my suggestion to that I made in Discord to make any NONE-lev 40 civ that's created able to "Skip to lev 40" so anyone can use that feature and not only new players. Since in my opinion this game starts at lev 40 and it's no challenge/fun to do alot of same basic quests over and over and over again to level up I'd guess many with half leveled civs would appriciate this so they don't need to delete civ and remake if they want to skip to lev 40 (and so loose all advisors and recipes). Also make sure that they who skip to lev 40 can get the Athena's Long Spear and Ullr's All-Seeing Bow in some way if they want to (or just give for free?).

4. PF2K

PF2K Lead Developer

Indians already have enough spice. (no pun intended)

The level 40 starting civilizations will be implemented soon, far earlier than the Indians.

ByFstugan and Andy P XIII like this.
    5. arkaram

arkaram Long Swordsman

Looks amazing guys! Cant wait to try it out. By the way, will Indians have their own compaign within the game?

Andy P XIII and bbgambini like this.
    6. PF2K

PF2K Lead Developer

They will not, they are a Pro civilization, much like the Persians, Babylonians and the Norse.

But there will be an Indian-themed quest pack releasing with them at the same time, which will be available to all civilizations, including the Indians themselves.

#7 PF2K, Aug 28, 2023 at 11:06 AM
      Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
      ConradIII, Andy P XIII and ByFstugan like this.
    7. bbgambini

bbgambini Hippikon

cant wait for the Indian Civ launch date!!!! great work

Andy P XIII and ByFstugan like this.
    8. MainMan B

MainMan B Berserker

Looks fantastic. Impressive work as allways. Looking forward to it.

Andy P XIII likes this.
    9. ConradIII

ConradIII Champion

Actually I like leveling up my Civs - starting at 40 may please some but that removes half of the game , we might as well drop common , uncommon , rare gear I have not used them for years all my civs have Leg or Epic gear and I saved a full set of gear for the indians - I have over 150 leg gear just waiting in my vault. I must be a contrarian ??;);)

Andy P XIII likes this.
    10. ConradIII

ConradIII Champion

So bit like Babylon when Persians 1st came out ??

11. ConradIII

ConradIII Champion

Can't wait ....:):):)

Andy P XIII likes this.
    12. PF2K

PF2K Lead Developer

The Persians were released before the Babylonians. Not sure what you're talking about.

13. ConradIII

ConradIII Champion

Not the Civ itself the place with the quests for that Civ (Man Im going back 11 years .... so I mixed up Tarsos with Babylon sorry .... )

The Norse had quests , Babylonians had quests , Persians had quests - You started at 20 and each civ had some quests that every Civ could play but they were associated with that Civ. All had a little test quest as a teaser and some other quest specific to them as you bought them with EP -

Or you just start at 40 and do Argos, Cyprus etc ...

14. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

The Babylonians and Norse released with booster packs that were set in their respective regions. The Persians, however, did not. The Indians won’t have a full scale booster pack but will have perhaps 8-10 quests, all set in the jungles of India. They are mostly complete and look beautiful.

#15 Andy P XIII, Aug 31, 2023 at 1:01 AM
      Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
      ConradIII and ByFstugan like this.
    15. ConradIII

ConradIII Champion

OK thanks for the clarification Andy.
      Like I said it's 11years ago -
      so I got mixed up , but what's a Civ between friends ? you got the picture.
      Anyway, 8-10 quests is Ok just to get used to them thanx

Andy P XIII likes this.
    16. Donar

Donar Berserker

Thanks, looks great. Im looking forward to the Indians!

Andy P XIII likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice