New Map Seeds for Current PvP/Cyprus Pool Maps

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ardeshir, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

As the title implies, is this a doable change that can be made? Particularly Arabia stands out as inconvenient (Where are the bloody hunts???) and (in 2v2) downright unbalanced to play on (3 or 4 entry points vs 2 entry points in the natural cliff wall-off in some variants).

I'm sure the other maps have more subtle features that may make one base a stronger/weaker starting position to be in over the other (usually in how grouped tc resources are and how close 2nd and 3rd hunts/golds/stones are to the first tc).

How could we go about getting the community involved in map and/or seed creation? I know either way it'd be low priority as PvE questing and gearing is what stirs the bulk of the playerbase, but I feel like having community based map/seed creation, or at the very least replacing the crappy imba microsuck seeds from the oldschool maps could be a big help to PvP.

EDIT - I'm not referring to Persian Quarry, Marshlands, or Wildwoods with these criticisms at all. They're the balanced maps that Arabia and Oasis need to learn from.

#1 Ardeshir, Apr 21, 2019 at 8:00 AM
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  2. Loading...

3. PF2K

PF2K Lead Developer
    Staff Member Administrator

Arabia spawns differently in PvP mode compared to Skirmish. In PvP mode the problems you mention happen less frequently. I will have a more detailed look into this, thanks!

If you have RMS skills to create maps, then feel free to submit them to us for validation so we can add it to the game!

Ardeshir likes this.
  4. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

Is it basically the same to aoe3 rms? I've messed around in it for aoe3 but found a lot of the guides basic and outdated. Plus it's a bit confusing seeing more advanced stuff made different ways by different map makers. Do you know of any good materials for advanced rms? I'd love to see if I can learn how to make consistent hunt and mine spawns on a variety of maps inspired by what's in the pool currently. If I can actually figure out what I'm doing in rms I might try make a couple aoe2 or 3 styled maps or "long engage path on close-spawn" map styles starcraft uses with airspace, doing it with rockwalls instead. Should I look at more or less submitting scenarios to people with rms skills to actually make a workable map? (Do you know who I'd be best asking in the community?) I'd be able to do that since the mapmaker you guys have given us is laid out similarly enough to aoe3's that I can make the maps for scenario mode.

Edit: I honestly do love the work the team has done with the new maps, and the changes that have been made with new and edited seeds. Really keen to see whatever future maps are coming because the new maps are all favorites of mine to play. I also wanted to know about island maps, are they out of the ranked pool because the water dominance is basically a gg when you landlock the opponent/s?

5. PF2K

PF2K Lead Developer
    Staff Member Administrator

You should message RecoN on our discord for more info on maps, he's our best mapmaker!

Ardeshir likes this.
  6. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

Thanks mate, sent him a message. Updating the celeste editor now to see if i can throw together a scenario or two quick in between games this long weekend. If I come up with something good I might upload it as a good skirmish vs ai map/s to muck around on. I'd do scenario submissions for 3-4 seeds of the same maps too over the next couple weekends if I can't figure out this dang rms for some skirm/PvP maps :D.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice