Add some of the adviser units into the base civs

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ΚΛƬΛ, Jun 5, 2019.

1. ΚΛƬΛ

ΚΛƬΛ Spearman

Norse and Babylonians have a lot of unique and interesting units at their disposal but they don't have any unique units from advisers and certainly they don't need them so . . What about having some of the unique units from advisers added into the baseline units of the older civs ?

Not all units of course , but at least 2 ( one from an A3 adviser and the other from an A4 adviser ) to have an extra degree of variation in army compositions and make those older civs feel slightly more unique.

I suggest this units to get inserted into the base kit of their respective civs since they are not redundant with their baseline units.

Greeks : Somatophylax , Hetairoi
    Egyptians : Desert Cavalry , Khopesh Swordsman
    Persians : Kardaka , Scythed Chariot
    Celts : Gaesatae , Headhunter ( I know this 2 are from age 3 but Long Archers and War Chariots overlap with their other A4 units )

Chris23g and Ardeshir like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

I think the biggest thing holding back a change like this is that it's a lot of work to balance all these new unit additions, because as advisor units they don't get items, and even at legendary they're far weaker than what they're going to be with level 40 legendary items, or in a PvP matchup where nothing has items.

In the short term I think the devs are too pre-occupied with Romans, the rest of the Roadmap, and possibly other unannounced stuff to be focussed on reworking the advisor system beyond adding a handful more advisors like they have already done.

It's a good idea, and it's been suggested a few times before though, so I'd stay hopeful that one day the team will do something to improve the tech tree for the older civs and make their crappier (at 40) advisors more relevant.

ΚΛƬΛ likes this.
  4. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

not only would it be almost impossible to balance 2-5 additional units to existing civs, but some civs do not have advisor units, and that would make balancing even harder. meanwhile, the 3d models for advisor units are completely useless to us for gearing the units. to allow us to gear them (which is necessary to add them to the baseline civ), we would need to make new 3d models that contain the attachments to wear gear/vanity gear.

all told, this would be a fairly complex task that likely would not be something we end up prioritizing above other ideas we have.

we have the civs presently balanced very well -- far better than ever before -- and I am not sure we would be able to find enough momentum in the community to disrupt that balance just to add these units, unfortunately.

I agree that there could be something more we could do with all of those units, but I am not sure this is the answer.

Chris23g, ΚΛƬΛ and Ardeshir like this.
  5. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

I was just thinking.... level scaled stats on unique unit advisors? So legendary advisors at 40 feel equal to level 40 units in full legendary gear? That way then there's no pvp changes, and the units aren't overpowered for pve, there's just more pressure to add some UUAs to Babs and Norse later on.

Andy P XIII likes this.
  6. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

Yeah, I would love to buff those advisor units, too.

7. Jeinx

Jeinx Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No love for unit advisors :( Jason and Matius are so great :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice