Please consider creating a Japanese civ. I will happily pay for it.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ThProfessional, Dec 4, 2019.

1. ThProfessional

ThProfessional Villager

Thank you for making one of my favorite online games live on! I paid for all of the content when the game was originally out and would love more civs to buy as time goes on to support all the awesome work you all are doing! Also as a new user I looked for but did not find a previous Japanese post (samurai/ ninjas) so please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong section.

To the many hands that create and to the great community much respect to you all!

"ThProfessional"

2. Loading...

3. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

We follow the MS Game Usage Rules so we will never sell any content whatsoever. One nice part of this is it allows us to choose new content from the standpoint as players and not as a sales force.

I’m not well read on Japanese history from 2000 BCE to 500 CE and whether there were samurai back then. But if we ever are looking for an 8th civ, you can be sure we will consider every viable possibility.

4. bbgambini

bbgambini Hippikon

civ timeline.jpg
    These are just a few civs and their timelines :D
    I actually would love the Aztecs even though they are "missing" units/techs/etc...Mayans...they would look epic on aoeo :D

Andy P XIII likes this.
  5. JoshTheAspi

JoshTheAspi Long Swordsman

I've been interested in the idea pre-samurai Japanese civ. I think it could specialize and archers and cavalry. I would also love to see pre-samurai armor done in the AOEO artstyle. There could also be haniwa everywhere.

6. JoshTheAspi

I forgot to mention proper samurai didn't appear until the 10th century CE and Haniwa are clay statues that were placed around tombs.

#5 JoshTheAspi, Dec 6, 2019 at 11:49 AM
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  7. JoshTheAspi

Here are some examples of haniwa.
    These are some stylized buildings (and other stuff).
    Periodo_kofun%2C_haniwa_vari%2C_VI_sec_2.jpg
    5045425826_23b125a0f2_b.jpg
    And these are haniwa of Armor, a soldier, a woman, and a noble.
    Asuka_Museum_Haniwa.jpg
    [​IMG]
    Haniwa_-_Woman_in_full_dress.jpg 308px-Haniwa_con_figura_di_capotrib%C3%B9%2C_V_sec.jpg

bbgambini and Andy P XIII like this.
  8. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

Those are great. I am not sure we would be able to justify jumping across the world and 500 years into the future for our 8th civ, though!

9. JoshTheAspi

If Japan isn't likely to be a playable civilization, then do you think Zhou, Qin, or Han china would better ideas?

Andy P XIII likes this.
  10. Unknown Maniac

Unknown Maniac Berserker

I dont know what other civs could be as an option but I would love to see some more eastern civ like Chinese or Indian after Romans if there's gonna be another civ. I leave the decision to the developers and I know they will come up with something great.

JoshTheAspi and Andy P XIII like this.
  11. Fraxure022

Fraxure022 Berserker

China has been my most desired Civ since Day 1 of AoEO. Southeastern Asian culture has always fascinated me so much.

12. ABullishBear

ABullishBear Woad Raider

Are the Huns ruled in or out then?
    :D

Apart from that an Asian civ would be interesting as well, I just really think we could all use some huns in our lives ^^

bbgambini and Andy P XIII like this.
  13. RacketyPurse

RacketyPurse Champion

the idea of the Japanese could be a beautiful suggestionbut actually already a civilization, which cannot be used, exists, I'm talking about the Nubians, with units similar to the Egyptians but with different characteristics, now I don't know if it's really a complete civilization, but I believe that with them we could make a new civilization fast

14. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

There are several non playable factions in the game. None are complete. They each have a handful of buildings and units.

15. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

There’s lots of civs worthy of number 8.

Ardeshir likes this.
  16. RacketyPurse

RacketyPurse Champion

yes, of course, I understand the great work that there is to realize a civilization, in this way I thought that with the Nubians one could shorten the times a little. however good intentions and ideas are welcome

17. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

Maybe one day we will be able to discuss civ selection and design more, but for sure the single most important decision we could make is the identity of the next civilization.

Choosing the Romans was very easy — they are immensely popular, the Devs has already chosen them, they fit into the global map and time periods perfectly, and we had tons of available information about them.

There is no obvious civ that fits all of those criteria. No matter what, a new civ ideally would be instantly recognizable by players and call forth some image in their minds. If some players don’t even know anything about a civ, they are less likely to be excited.

Exclusive0r, JoshTheAspi and Alzerus like this.
  18. ABullishBear

ABullishBear Woad Raider

Wonder if anyone has never heard of the huns :0

Image that comes to mind is horseback riding and archery

19. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

The Huns are famous. The Scythians were similar and a bit earlier. I could totally see a civ that reflects the horse riders from the Steppes.

ABullishBear and JoshTheAspi like this.
  20. JoshTheAspi

I Investigated it more and realized that the timeline of all the AOE 1 civilizations used for definitive edition didn't have the Japanese start in 300 BCE when the Yayoi period started. The Yayoi period was when Japan entered the iron age while experiencing a massive growth in agriculture and other technologies. They also had contact with China that was first mentioned in 57. If Japan were to become a playable civ in AOEO then it would make sense do so after China playable. Japan would also need to be based on a mixture of the Yayoi and Kofun time periods, so it could fit into the AOEO timeline better while maintaining a good aesthetic. That being said I love the idea of the Scythians becoming a playable civ. They have a really cool culture and aesthetic.

Andy P XIII likes this.
  21. Exclusive0r

Exclusive0r Immortal

Andy P XIII likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice