Solo Legendary Quests

Discussion in 'PvE General Discussion' started by WobbleDee, Dec 3, 2019.

1. WobbleDee

WobbleDee Long Swordsman

With the exception of 2 of the Halloween legendary quests I have found every single legendary quest to be an exercise in futility and frustration to solo. I know, I know, co-op is the answer. Unfortunately, co-op just doesn't suit my play style. I usually hit a brick wall with the AI spamming elite units until the point I get disgusted.

With that said, are there any legs that you find soloable for a low skill player? Looking for specific quest names here. I've tried maybe a dozen or so and have not been able to complete any yet. Thanks!

2. Loading...

3. Unknown Maniac

Unknown Maniac Berserker

Have you tried the legendary Renegades in Cyprus? That is very easy legendary quest where all you have to do is spam spearmen (for the optional quest).

4. Aaron

Aaron Berserker

Which 2 can you solo, and with what civ?

Also, what's you play style? i.e. Do you like high eco maps where you can boom like crazy, or maps where you actually need defenses in the beginning?

5. musictopia2

musictopia2 Woad Raider

The new oasis legendary quest is a good one to do as well. Very high rewards too.

6. WobbleDee

WobbleDee Long Swordsman

Don't remember the Halloween names, but it was the two where you did NOT have to keep the Headless Horseman alive for 30 minutes. For the most part the enemy AI did not attack and if they did several layers of walls/towers dealt with them. I was able to build up my eco in peace.

I play Egyptian for now and my play style is turtler. I prefer to build up a small defensive ring and branch out once I've upgraded to Age IV. I hate timed rushes, even for secondary objectives.

7. FinishedBlock21

FinishedBlock21 Hippikon

Classic legendaries are probably the easiest to solo (except for Soloi): Paphos, Marion, Cataclysm etc. Building good eco fast applies to all quests and is like 90% the reason for success; focus on improving that. Other than that, check out youtube for quest-specific strategies. For example, in cataclysm you need to kill enemy docks asap and you won't have to fight a single ship. In paphos be ready to deal with a ram attacking at min 8, otherwise it can wipe off your whole base.

8. FinishedBlock21

FinishedBlock21 Hippikon

If you are a turtler, you'll struggle more with leg quests. You need to attack fast, the longer you wait the stronger they become, whereas if you attack fast, they have way less units and you kill them easy.

Jeinx likes this.
  9. Aaron

Aaron Berserker

Mad Median is pretty good I think. The timer is generous, the rewards great, you start in Age 3 with 1k resources each, and there's only 1 entrance. There's a large space to set up your caravan lines. The early attacks are pretty tame too, compared to most other legendary except Sais.

P.S. Epic Dumnorix is completely broken, and vital to good booming.

Actually, I have 1 more question: How long did it took you to do the Halloween legendaries?

#8 Aaron, Dec 3, 2019 at 2:47 AM
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    WobbleDee likes this.
  10. musictopia2

musictopia2 Woad Raider

I found with me personally when i attack fast, i always lose. even i prefer to turtle as well.

11. Aaron

Aaron Berserker

What does "attack fast" mean? I can see it referring to 2 different things:
    1. Be efficient/greedy in booming so you reach 180+ pop and 3/3/3 upgrades sooner so you can start attacking faster.
    2. Actually attack faster with significantly less units than max pop (like 120 pop).

12. FinishedBlock21

FinishedBlock21 Hippikon

Attack fast as in boom and max fast. Can't go very far with 120 pop in leg quests, given that 100 of them will be vils. Turtling costs you resources: stone, wood and gold for towers, walls and their upgrades and vill time. You're better off investing those resources in your eco so you can boom faster.

Jeinx likes this.
  13. Aaron

Aaron Berserker

I would have guessed as well. It's just that "attack fast" as it is stated is very confusing for anyone reading, and they would start doing things like cut villagers/caravans.

14. WobbleDee

WobbleDee Long Swordsman

Thanks. I was able to do this on my 2nd try.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Not sure, maybe 2 hours for each one? They were both tedious but it helped that the AI didn't put much effort into attacking my base.

15. Jeinx

Jeinx Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Generally Legendary quests are typically quests for higher skilled players. For most players, new legendaries are kind of like that at first. Seem frustrating and overwhelming, but after time mastering what to do and when, they get easy. As FinishedBlock said, classic Legendaries in Cyprus are easier, in particular Renegade and Marion. You can even be slow in Marion and do fine. Don't forget you also have alliance quests you can do to in the three capitals :)

16. Aaron

Aaron Berserker

I will be honest, if it takes you 2 hours to do the Halloween legendaries, then both Marion and Mad Medians are not feasible due to the 1 hour timer.

I do wonder how it takes that long though. When do you make your first push?

PaRa likes this.
  17. WobbleDee

WobbleDee Long Swordsman

I'm just slow. I get satisfaction out of maxxing my base and overwhelming my enemy with large armies. Watching enemies throw themselves to no avail at a wall of guard towers or my catapult tireme taking out their entire base from afar both make me smile.

Timed missions give me anxiety. After reflecting on 20+ years of RTS gaming running the gambit of every game I've never been fast nor have I really had a desire to play fast. If I've played that way for a couple of decades I'm skeptical I'll pick it up and be one of the "I did Marion in 28 minutes!" aces at this point.

And I get it. Co-op will not be my friend. PVP will not be my friend and legendaries will be very tough. I'd much rather play skirmishes ala AOE2 but they're incredibly unsatisfying due to the pay tables in this game, like to the point they're not worth doing at all.

18. FinishedBlock21

FinishedBlock21 Hippikon

There are quite a few repeatable lv 40 quests, elite or not. The AI is weaker there, so you'll get a chance to play slow, build your defenses and attack late.

Exclusive0r and Aaron like this.
  19. Aaron

Aaron Berserker

I very much agree. Not only that, you can practice getting an efficient build order and hotkey layout down, so that you can be "fast" without being physically fast. I think the biggest eye opener for me was seeing just how many markets/TC (lots) do other players build. That alone got me much better at doing legendaries.

Exclusive0r likes this.
  20. Exclusive0r

Exclusive0r Immortal

I have a dexterity problem, but I find Leg Cata to fit your play style , watch a few Utube vids, knock out the fortress take their base on the right, knock out their docks north and you can take as long as you want ... they only spawn docks in the bay north .. 1 ship can stop them .... max everything out and attack , The Civs like Greek, Persia, Gyps with siege ships are easiest , but even if you don't get the fortress in time you lose a chest or so ....
    Breaking Bandits if you get stone a lose a bit is easy ... spam ships and take out their docks (island and mainland)
    Even Marion is not so hard if watch a few utube vids...
    or build up with elite cyprus or elite rescue me (easiest elite ever )

WobbleDee likes this.
  21. rtsgamer

rtsgamer Immortal

Hi m8,

As eggy:

Defensive build order sounds to me wrong, usually eggy rushes age4 make use of khepri and spam eles.

As Greek / Persia / Babylone:

Priest + Palis can be the answer.
    As advisor: (irene age1, dumnorix age2), mehrab age3 and Timo age4

As gear the new craftable staff for ur priests and the new craftable runic for the Palis should help alot. Greetz.

One more thing, u don't like coop, it's fine but coop is good for to find out quest playouts. I mean u can look how others playing out a specific quest, that can give u improvements on ur own gameplay. greetz.

Exclusive0r likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice