Generating news about ProjectCelese?

Discussion in 'PvE General Discussion' started by Kenji03, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Kenji03

Kenji03 Berserker

A few places have already posted news articles about Project Celeste within the last year.

EscapeTV.uk

At the bottom of their AOE3 community news update, they give ProjectCeleste a plug -- with a section all it's own

Massively Over Powered

MassivelyOp.com wrote a small article on Project Celeste. It was published before the Romans announcement.

However, have we (as a group of fans) ever considered trying to reach out to traditional media or youtube personalities to try and garner some extra attention the server's way?

Perhaps this is something to be tackled once the Romans release, as that will be big news ("Fans finish content Devs couldn't after MMO's shutdown"), but does anyone know if anyone here has looked into this kind of stuff in the past?

Side note
    A different visual guide for installing AOEO:pC

#1 Kenji03, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:38 AM
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Generating news ProjectCelese
    1. Dreacerys
      Replies:
      Views:

3. WiriWout

WiriWout Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ardeshir likes this.
  4. Kenji03

Kenji03 Berserker

I've looked into r/RealTimeStrategy. People post about ProjectCeleste every few months. That community doesn't like to be spammed, but they tend to tolerate the random shout outs. Same with r/BaseBuildingGames.

On a side note, I don't just mean PVP tournament news. I more mean "Hey, AOEO still lives and has new content AND a new civ on the way" news.

5. MsMuffins

MsMuffins Champion

Hmmmmm, advertising AoEO is a tricky thing, I think small advertisement is ok, but not allowed to post on any mainstream social medias, what I gathered from previous discussions and likely Andy will explain why sooner or later. (I see him post stuff like this every now and then.) But I think generally the deal the dev's have with microsoft, and how they are letting them use all the resources to make and run Celeste but have to follow a set of rules.

Kenji03 likes this.
  6. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

I’m a mod on the official forums and have a strong sense that we fans should focus on respectfully and lovingly developing AoEO content and not make a lot of noise.

I see it like this: AoEO is like a beautiful vacation home that MS owns. Back on the day, MS invited everybody to stay and party there. But then the party ended and MS shut the lights and moved out. The house lay dormant, and after a couple years Celeste moved in and turned the lights and music back on. MS still owns the house and knows we are here and has tenuously agreed to let us stay rent free. We are keeping the house clean, making repairs and improvements. And we are beautifying the neighborhood. So long as we are good people, there’s every reason to think we are welcome. But if I were living in some dude’s beach house rent free, I’d think twice before asking a newspaper to run a story about the giant party I’m throwing there this weekend.

Let’s keep treating AoEO with the love it deserves, and the word will get out without us hiring a publicist.

Also: we want to be very careful with how we explain the Romans and the work of those who came before us. We are not doing something that the Devs could not do themselves. They were more than capable and it had nothing to do with their skill or management. They stopped because their funding was cut. That had nothing to do with the extremely talented people who were actually making the Romans. We are forever in their debt.

Alzerus, Kenji03 and MsMuffins like this.
  7. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

I've mostly been focusing on the Romans coming up (not dissing MS development), Realms of the World being out, finishing of GM (again, no badmouthing MS), and the more casual drawcard for PvP (maps) on the less "esports" forums and such. Places like TL.net and messaging pro gamers in other RTS or mobas are where I really talk up the tournament. I'll keep in mind /r/BBG, on top of the others I've made a post on. Not looking to spam them, but an inital post, followed by a content release post months later won't be an issue.

So you're saying you wouldn't download a car? :D

I had been mentioning the game content usage rules in most messages, and at the very least mentioned that it was not for profit/donation funded. It's plastered all over the forums, on the client, and now on the stub for Project Celeste on the aoeo wiki too.

At the end of the day, if they're truly "coming back to the house" (remastering aoeo or releasing a sequel), either they won't care about any rehostings that have stuck by the GCUR, or they'll clamp down on all regardless of how much they kept within it.

#6 Ardeshir, Aug 13, 2019 at 3:19 PM
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Kenji03 likes this.
  8. Kenji03

Kenji03 Berserker

This is more or less my mindset, but I will do as Andy requests and not drum up buzz.

Since I too believe it is either they won't really care, or they will cut all GCUR stuff, it shouldn't really matter what kind of news we generate. Lots of web-based news sites run stories on mods, with the only reason "World of Warcraft Classsic"s fan server got shut down is because Blizzard was opening it's own official WOW classic.

A similar but different situation got some news press about a fan-run City of Heroes server.

But again, Andy requested we (or I) don't drum up buzz, so I won't.

Ardeshir and MsMuffins like this.
  9. Couldn'tCareLess

Couldn'tCareLess Long Swordsman

I like to Dream, but getting the IGN to do an article about it would be soooooo nice!

Ardeshir and Kenji03 like this.
  10. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

I tried IGN's Esports Australia department with no luck, but feel free to message another region's department!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice