OLD TECH TREE FROM ORIGINAL GAME!

Discussion in 'PvE General Discussion' started by alex5ale, Jul 6, 2019.

1. alex5ale

alex5ale Woad Raider

In the first form of the game the tree where you put your points had more choices and wouldn’t let you have all choices unlocked like it has now !! It was your choice how you would spent your points and I think it had more variety in the way you wanted to play, you could focus for example on a more offensive tree or a more defensive basically you could choose the style you want to play more deeply in my opinion !!! In think this was a drawback when they excluded it from the game and had all the tree unlocked with fewer choices!! I don’t know if it would ruin the game if it was brought back but don’t you think that the old tree would let you play more with your style of need? It felt that you could bring the game more in your preferences...Does anyone who had played the original game feel the same way ? Is there a chance in the million that it could be brought back ?

aceloki likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

Wouldn't that just mean you're shoehorned into given builds once you've picked your tech tree?

4. PF2K

PF2K Lead Developer
    Staff Member Administrator

5. alex5ale

alex5ale Woad Raider

You could always change reset your points and put whenever you wanted...I think we are shoehorned now...given builds are mostly necessary now if you want to do leg missions and succeed in the sub quests!!! I didn’t post this thread to express any disappointment or something for the game it just a old memory that I had and would like to express it here!!!

6. alex5ale

alex5ale Woad Raider

That’s quite good news!!!! :p

Kenji03 likes this.
  7. aceloki

aceloki Long Swordsman

I remember this original tech tree too. You couldn't select everything, so you had to compromise and have only limited or no siege or limited naval options, or going for strong cavalry but with less potent archers. It was very individual and made for quite unique individual armies, however, it did make success at some scenario's more time consuming. As alex5 has stated you could always pay [ ep] to change within these limitations. Opening the tech tree to allow the player all options, certainly opened up the game and allowed the full use of units and it made levelling easier. If you never experienced this original tech tree, imaging doing some of those level 20's Argos quests without any siege or siege boats at all. I think that having quests now which limit what you can use for additional gold or ep, allows players to think through quests without using the easiest option, like where you can only use spear men or cavalry or can't build towers. Though of course you can always do the quest using everything available for less reward. I think in the end its great we have the full tech tree but like alex5 , I too have memories of those limited choices on the tech tree and it did make for interesting player choices to work around limited army/naval options.
    I think some more nostalgia is in order: I had Fell handed gauntlets with 17% cost reduction,from the very early game, later they were reduced , but players still had them on troops if they were lucky enough to craft them very early, like the arduna's bow which had big LOS plus range, that was reduced too. Yeah the really old game great- but hey the new one is super- can't wait for the Romans.

Ardeshir and alex5ale like this.
  8. Fraxure022

Fraxure022 Berserker

I was one of the most vocal opponents when GPG changed the tech tree back in the day (Any of you forum lurkers remember Raveneth? That was me.), but it won me over. I think people forget a lot of stuff that was added. Champion upgrades were the last in a line of upgrades units could get (Veteran/Master/Champion, if I recall) and all they were was a flat hp/damage buff. Champion upgrades in the current tech tree are -much- more interesting now.

Additionally, having broad tech trees like that pigeonholed Civ design. It’s no coincidence that the three civs designed under the larger tree (Greece/Persia/Egypt) are all somewhat predictable and similar designs compared to the other three (Babylon/Celts/Norse). Not being sure if a player would always have access to the tools intended forced a lot of concessions in Civ and mission design. I’m a fan of additional ways to personalize your Civ, but this is not one of them.

#7 Fraxure022, Jul 9, 2019 at 11:44 PM
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Ardeshir and aceloki like this.
  9. Couldn'tCareLess

Couldn'tCareLess Long Swordsman

I think it would be a good ideia. After all, life is made of choises, and you can never have it all.
    Ultimatetlly, it all comes down to how hard is to achieve that, and we know that Devs are fully focusing on the Romans, but i think that it might be something to look at in a near future.

10. Mikey242

Mikey242 Spearman

I remember the original tech tree too and I always find it a shame when I know I can't get all the upgrades together. I definitely appreciate the variety in tactics that kind of system can bring but it still annoys me. I honestly think that there is enough opportunity to tweak your civ using consumables and gear.

#9 Mikey242, Jul 12, 2019 at 9:32 AM
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Ja-Jo likes this.
  11. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

Yeah **** the old tech tree lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice