Bitdefender Identifies 2 Files as Ransomware During Patch

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Snacker, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Snacker

Snacker Villager

During autopatch of AoEO today, Bitdefender identifies the following files as encrypted by ransomware:
    CelesteConfig.xml
    de-DE-QuestStringTable.xml

Any explanation for this?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Bitdefender Identifies Files
    1. Wittfogel
      Replies:
      Views:

3. NCSGeek

NCSGeek Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Kind of funny that 2 .xml files are marked. For ransomware too, lol. You can open those files and view the contents, it's just XML. Also the laucher's code is public on GitHub if you'd like to view that also.

It's a false-positive. Adding an exclusion for the game's folder will solve this.

4. Snacker

Snacker Villager

BitDefender is sensitize. It was preventing me from modding Fallout New Vegas yesterday and not allowing me to save keyboard layout changes within the game. I see people having problems all the time in forums like this and I bet they have BitDefender. Most of them are going to extremes to fix the problem when all it takes is a click on a toggle button in BitDefender.

I don't know much about .xml. I have opened them before and it looks like a spreadsheet to me. I had ransomware once when it was less mainstream and I had to waste many hours of my time to get rid of it. It was NOT FUN...lol. Avast antivirus and HitManPro helped a lot. I was lucky to have the weakest of three variants.

5. CWO

CWO Long Swordsman

xml is a text file and has no actual code to execute so they're 100% safe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice