More options for arena/sparta matches (FFA, Max Pop, etc...)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by West_In_Pieces, Sep 23, 2018.

?

Should more game options be added to AOEO?

1. No basic is better

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Just let me play 8 player FFA with max population of 500 pls

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. West_In_Pieces

West_In_Pieces Spearman

Hello,

I want to start by saying I love Age of Empires as a series, playing the AOE2, AOE2HD, and AOE3 games (in addition to age of empires online). Out of all these games, I appreciate AOEO because online multiplayer just "works," without needing to install plugins, or use workarounds. It seems intuitive for this kind of multiplayer experience to include many options for multiplayer maps, but unfortunatley this is just not the case.

This is what you can change in AOEO when it comes to multiplayer matches:
    nxZGs9N.png

Compared to what you can change in AOE2HD (applies to offline vs AI, and multiplayer online however buggy it is)
    Ho8ZWP8.jpg

I would love to see FFA games, and games where you have a max population higher than 200 (or lower o_0). Lots of creative gamemodes could be played, and bring more people into the community. I understand this would definatley take some additional development, but I think it would be worth it.

TLDR; I really think AOEO could do better with multiplayer match options.

-West

2. Loading...

3. Terragon

Terragon Villager

There is not a single thing in this post that I do not agree with. Especially that 200 is too low even for standard size maps and being able to play FFA with my friends (and random players) would just be A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

Ardeshir likes this.
  4. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

I think it would be really cool if skirmish, and later arena, had the options for increased population, starting age, starting villiagers, treaty, game speed, and reveal map. Team together and all-tech (no unique) were also cool features of the older title. Record game would be nice, but these days its just as easy to use your gpu software, obs, or something else for capture.

I don't know how the game would go with more than 2 teams, the skirmish/arena menu ui would have to change to accommodate for this for sure. We still haven't got arena 3v3 and 4v4 yet as is.

5. solar

solar Long Swordsman

max pop of 500 per team would lag the hell out of game!

Exclusive0r likes this.
  6. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

It would for cross-continental play sure, but local games, or games between people from within the same region without spectators the connection can probably handle a lot more than the 200v200 units and the problem being people have pcs that only just meet minimum requirements as-is. 250v250 or 300v300 wouldn't be a big deal as a custom option, I just don't see ranked ever moving from 200v200.

Any addition to custom options for skirmish and arena would be a welcome change in my book. The only things to not mess with would be ranked and champion mode.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice