Crests readability

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by i3ackero, Nov 28, 2021.

1. i3ackero

i3ackero Long Swordsman

Okay, so all crests from level 15 are golden. And this is fine as this follow the "Golden Era" we reach as civilization. But using them as standard Civ major symbol that is used in every UI which refers to civ makes it hard torecognize at first look. I remember when original devs did it, as at the beginning when only Greek and Egyptian were in that game, Eggy max-lvl crest was golden, and greek more like platinum. And I get that having full golden crest is like achievement and to show up. I think that you could consider to change that or just at least discuss about it.

- Every Civ has 4 crests representing each capital city's Age (and max unlocked Age in matches).
    - Each player having >15 level (most likely everyone) will have full golden crest regardless of chosen civ.
    - Those crests with changes only in its shape, but really monocolored which in my opinion is bad to civ identity.

Examples of appereance in UI:
    - Top left corner of the screen.
    - Top of the screen.
    - Party.
    - Spectator mode.
    - Match results.
    - Other player's city viewer.
    - Civ picker helper.
    - Website, wiki, dev blogs.

The idea of crests representing the player's civilization (not the civilization in general) is fine in fact, but the civs should have their representation more unique and as we are using crests to represent them I think they should differ more from each other.

My solution idea:
    1. Recreate all crests to have more variety in colors.
    - Take a llok at world map homelands for example: those locations or NPC cities have more recognizable crests.
    2. Every civilization could have 5 versions of their crests, each representing each Age they unlocked (like now).
    - Each next crest would be still more attractive looking like previous one (like first still being wodden), but now bronze/silver/golden representation could be just trims, borders, logo (like Persian bird) or some extras, instead of full filter.
    - The 5th version that I mentioned, could be "legendary" crest (with black elements and most extras), unlocked for hitting 40 level. Being a 40 level is much different then having 15 level not only in number, but also content availability and player's experience in many cases. Having level caped civilization could be easier to notice just by this fact.
    - If you want any examples, cos like my description were not such clear, I may prepare some rough examples, but don;t except top-level graphics of course ;)
    3. I know about one of most popular customization request which is possibility to pick your civ color instead of being attached always to blue in your quests. In case, you are planning to add it, you could also consider to add some color-specific elements to those crests for more players's customization.

What do you think about it?

apolippo likes this.
  2. CrimsonCantab

CrimsonCantab Berserker

I think this is actually a pretty good idea. I do find the all-golden crests to be a bit bland-looking (especially when you're in a 2v2 with all 4 crests from your party in the top right corner.

3. Aryzel

Aryzel Immortal

[​IMG]

Using the storehouse image to show all the Crests.

With Babylon, Persia, Rome I do find them a bit hard to identify instantly, the rest are unique enough to make strong associations with their civs and be instantly associated, but the remaining 3 are less so for me. To my eyes first glance they are all 3 spikey designs, takes a bit of extra remembering associations to get the crest. Spikey bird with Persians, Line down middle of Spikes with Romans, Compass-like Spikes with Babylons. People who know more about the civs probably have less issues, but to me even after all this time I don't have instant associations with them, they are clearly lovely and unique designs, I just (personally) have trouble with associating the which civ with which for those 3. Having coloured designs at lvl 40 would be cool and allow more expression.

4. Kulcsos12

Kulcsos12 Hippikon

CivShields.jpg

Just a quick recoloring by me.

5. i3ackero

i3ackero Long Swordsman

I like those :D especially Babylon and Rome ones

6. CrimsonCantab

CrimsonCantab Berserker

Those are awesome! Can you do a wooden look on the Norse one?

7. Aryzel

Aryzel Immortal

really awesome!

8. CrimsonCantab

CrimsonCantab Berserker

I suggest Orange for the Greek Lambda, to match the roof architecture in-game (and to give Greeks a unique color among the crests)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice