SOLVED Changing keybindings

Discussion in 'Misc' started by BananaAcid, Oct 9, 2018.

1. BananaAcid

BananaAcid Villager

Hi,

any one knows where the key bindings are saved?

I try to change them 'big time', to WSAD - but have to change all other bindings (building units) from asdfg to xcvbn - tedious without editing the config directly.

also: there is a bug - shift+a results in shift-shift-a, is there anything to fix this bug in the game source? (is there a repo where we can send pull requests to?)

Thanks

2. Loading...

3. NCSGeek

NCSGeek Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hi! So they are stored in \Documents\Spartan\Users2\NewProfile2.xml but unfortunately, not as you may think. Any keybind that is the default value is not shown. Only your changed keybinds seem to be shown in the file.

Here is an example of one of mine.
    Code:
    <Group Name="Game World Hotkeys">
                <KeyMap>
                    <Name>Reset Camera</Name>
                    <Event>`</Event>
                    <Action>bind</Action>
                </KeyMap>
            </Group>

As you can see, it uses XML to store this information. 'Event' is the key used, 'Action' seems to always be "bind" in all of my entries, and 'Name'/'Group' seem to be where they reside in the in-game hotkey settings. If you try editing this, you'll have to make sure to keep it accurate. Try to test with what the group names are. (They could end up being different in-game than how it shows in the file).

Hope this helps, good luck!

EDIT: I'll mark this as solved since the intial question is answered (Where they are stored), but feel free to reply with further questions.

4. loonypath

loonypath Spearman

I upgraded my drive and wanted to copy the hotkeys from my old drive so I searched and found this thread. I replaced the file you mention and it didn't give me back all of my old keys.

Is there a way for me to get my old hotkeys and use them for the new install? I still have access to the entire old drive.

5. CrimsonCantab

CrimsonCantab Berserker

I have a repo where I keep my personal hotkeys: https://github.com/crimsoncantab/aoeo-settings

You can't really have a repo to push PRs to, however, because AoE:O creates the NewProfile2.xml inside your User directory during runtime - it's not part of the game codebase.

EDIT: looks like you're talking about doing a PR to fix the shift-shift bug, I misunderstood. You can see public Celeste repos here: https://github.com/orgs/ProjectCeleste/repositories. But the code for the game client is private; you'd need to reach out to the devs to be a contributor there.

6. CrimsonCantab

CrimsonCantab Berserker

And yes, you can at least work around the "shift-shift" bug by doing a find/replace in NewProfile2.xml

7. loonypath

loonypath Spearman

I hadn't played in a while and since last time I played I have upgraded my drive. Instead of spending so much time setting up keys and experimenting to find what works I want to use what I used to have on my old drive. I was wondering if there was a way to transfer my key bindings to a new install on the new drive. I don't want the code of the game I just need to know which files to grab from old install to put into the new install so I have my old hotkeys.

8. CrimsonCantab

CrimsonCantab Berserker

Hey @loonypath, as mentioned above, you just need to copy one file over: \Documents\Spartan\Users2\NewProfile2.xml

9. loonypath

loonypath Spearman

I must have screwed up on my first try somehow but it worked for me.

I also like the idea of making a repro for the settings, gonna do that myself.

Thanks for the help on this one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice