The Indians

Discussion in 'Misc' started by Andy P XIII, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

Since it's been a few hours since our post and what PF2K said earlier on the discord seems to have gone unnoticed, I put a very brief summary together for you all to bring you all up to speed on the Indians. This is all true, no April Fools Day involved:

Indians

Civilization Overview:
    The Indians introduce a new mechanic unique to their civilization where in a quest or match, the player chooses several different Techs to research at the exclusion of researching other possible Techs. In this way, the player can modify the civ’s specialties on a quest-to-quest or match-to-match basis. We have not decided how many Techs this will involve (perhaps one in Age 2, Age 3, and Age 4, or perhaps more). We presently do not expect players to choose between mutually exclusive Units or Buildings. We do not have a name or this feature yet but have been calling it Choose-a-Tech in conversations. We also do not have any other details hashed out, such as whether these Techs will be located in a specific building or spread across the Tech Tree, etc.

Civilization Setting:
    The Mauryan Empire (and late Nanda Empire) -- roughly 350 BCE to 150 BCE and would include the time of Alexander the Great, even though that was a few years before the Mauryan Empire). The Mauryan Empire was the first empire to unify almost all of India and represents ancient India at its height.

Civilization Motif:
    Customization. (For context, the Motif of the Persians is Versatility and the Motif of the Romans is Quality over Quantity)

Strengths:
    Midgame power spike (late Age 2/Age 3) (as opposed to early game (Celts/Norse) and late game (Egyptians, Babylonians, Romans)

Customizable Tech Tree

Other strengths are to be determined, possibly leaning more defensive/economic.

Weaknesses:
    Specifics are to be determined, but obviously they are weaker where they are not strong.

Key Units:
    Elephants, both military and economic
    Maceman (with use of the Club gear class)
    Others are to be determined

Possible Quest Givers:
    Chandragupta Maurya
    Ashoka
    Chanakya

Main City:
    Pataliputra

Other Details:
    1. The Indians are to be a pro civ starting in Level 20. Possibly released with a booster pack (like the Fertile Crescent and Northern Invasion), but presently we are looking only at releasing the civ itself (like the Persians). Of course we would later follow it up with quest packs, etc.

2. We intend to begin development in earnest in Summer, 2021, though some of our team are already working away (such as 3d models, 2d art, historic research regarding possible Units, Buildings, Techs, and beginning study of Sanskrit for writing the Unit vocals.

3. We consider any headway made in the next few months to be a head start and likely wont begin tracking progress and so forth until mid-summer. It is very important for us to give the team several months off. Things are going well, so we would rather brace against burn out than push anyone now.

How can you help?
    We are bottlenecked with 3d Modeling and Animation. Other than that, our fuel is the community and the team spirit, so enjoy the ride and feel free to ask questions. I am sure there will be lots of strong feelings and ideas about Units, Buildings, etc. Of course its fun to throw those around, and we look forward to explaining our choices later.

What civ is 9th?
    Making civs is an incredible effort on our personal lives. If you all want to be a part of the process, please try to understand our perspective. We really don’t know what will happen next. Presently, we are taking things one civ at a time and may be done making new civs after this (but certainly not done developing content around here).

#1 Andy P XIII, Mar 31, 2021 at 10:38 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2021
  2. Loading...

3. Fraxure022

Fraxure022 Berserker

Awesome. Something not European. Out of curiosity, what programs do you use for the modeling?

4. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

5. frogs.poison

frogs.poison Immortal

Isn't the exclusive tech research something that the Persians have access too with their Immortal legendary advisor?

6. ByFstugan

ByFstugan Immortal

So glad to hear it's not an aprils fools "joke". I wish you all luck in your "making it happen" - I know you got the skillz - awesome team Celeste <3

7. Fristi61

Fristi61 Champion

Man, times like these really make me wish I could contribute more than just cheering on from the sidelines.

While I do have technical skills, I guess they don't line up with your bottlenecks (Well, I did at one point spend some time writing scripts for Blender for import/export purposes and small custom tools, but I'm very inefficient at the actual 3D modelling), and sadly personal life has been far too chaotic lately to make really long-term commitments at the moment or develop new skills in a major way (I'm always willing to help people out with smaller things on the short term, but again you seem to have the areas I'm good at already more than covered).
    I'll just be here cheering you on and at times being unable to help myself from slinging historical facts with questionable value :p

Best of luck with everything not April Fool's-related. Love you guys.

NoteHermelin786 and Andy P XIII like this.
  8. TheSpaniard

TheSpaniard Berserker

Andy, can you provide a quote of what PF2K said in the Discord? I know the Indians are on the agenda, just trying to ascertain if I missed any important information beyond that lol.

9. Gara V

Gara V Spearman

Now we can see India on the map, interesting... :)

TheSpaniard and Andy P XIII like this.
  10. indianempire

indianempire Woad Raider

im indian im so happy one game has recognized chandragut maurya,

dipten majumder and PF2K like this.
  11. indianempire

indianempire Woad Raider

Ashoka the great wasn't alive during Chandragupta's reign.
    if you want another advisor probably king nanda himself .
    I know this is too much and im not someone to advise you guys but maybe a quest like invasion of nanda would be nice of how chandra established the Mauryan dynasty.
    if you keep king ashoka maybe invasion of kalinga as a legendary quest , 5 star as it was a massacre and pretty tough. there is more but just ideas, of course invasion of alexander and king porus but india without elephants is like curry without rice(lol) . thank you for your time.
    and work love to hear back .

12. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

In AoEO's loose version of history, we have the flexibility of having quest givers that didnt perfectly overlap.

indianempire likes this.
  13. bbgambini

bbgambini Hippikon

The new accessible India Region is such a hard tease =)
    can't wait

TheSpaniard and Andy P XIII like this.
  14. Hades173

Hades173 Spearman

If there going to have a new civilization, should be asians.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice