Implement the aggressive stance

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Equilibrium, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Champion

Hi,

at first i want to thank the devs for the great work! I really appreciate it! I really love this game but there is one main thing that gives me headache!

Since the release of AoE Online i thought the military units acting very wierd. The problem is: Default stance is on "defensive". As you can see on this picture: There are only 2 stance you can choose from and there is no hotkey for others then these 2 stances.

[​IMG]

It says "aggressive" (sword) and "stand ground" (Shield). But the "aggressive" stance is actually defensiv stance, so for me it is not bugged in a certain way but simply wrong.

As you can see in this picture from Age of Mythology and i think is similar to AoE 2, there are actually 3 stances and the default stance is in every other RTS real aggressive:

[​IMG]

The stand ground stance is actually useless imo, like why do you want to let your units killed with counter attack? Like is this pic:

[​IMG]

So what is the problem with default stance in AoE Online set on defensive? As you can see in this picture: Units walking backwards IN the fight, making it neccessary to always using the attack hotkey and once missing you can lost the game just because of the wrong stance. Also it is very annoying in PvE to 1000 times click your units to attack all the time because they acting wrong.

[​IMG]

What is the solution? I found that the true aggressive stance is actually implemented into the game and is hidden in the Trigger: "Army Set Stance". You can clearly see that there are 3 stances.
    In this case:

[​IMG]

Aggressive - In game overlay: not accessible
    Defensive - In game overlay: Aggressive
    Stand ground - In game overlay: Stand ground

I used this Trigger to get true aggressive stance and it worked!

[​IMG]

This specifiic army is now on true aggressive, not walking backward while fighting. They keep theire position after fighting and keep moving to enemys. And strangely enough: If you now use this army and click on "aggressive stance" in the in game overlay they set back to true defensive stance.

So what could be made different? I think we don't even need a new button:
    Just make the default stance on true aggressive.

Or: Make the Shield button to true defensive stance and delete the stand ground option.

If some people don't like it: Make an option who gives default stance: true aggressive or true defensive.

Just talking about other RTS: Usually the units in AoE 1-3, AoM and i think even in WC3 are on default stance true aggressive. The "aggressive" AoE O is just wrong and there is nothing beside the Trigger you can do about it.

Cheers

...ReignOfRagnarok and Ardeshir like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Implement aggressive stance
    1. Aohh
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. n4bb12
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Champion

Images does not work

4. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

Sounds like a nice find mate! Real good explanation in pointing out that "aggressive" and "defensive" are essentially "defensive" and "stand-ground" respectively, and that true "aggressive" in the other aoe/general RTS sense isn't actually in the game (aside from as a trigger). I think what might make the devs hesitant, if they are already aware, is that theyd have to cut stand ground in order to do so, or spend ages making UI changes.

If you want to get your images working, what I find works (when I upload them to imgur at least) is just to paste the link and skip using the img tags entirely.

...ReignOfRagnarok likes this.
  5. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Champion

I think it would be a million times better to have aggressive and defensive stance, instead of defensive and stand ground.

Ardeshir likes this.
  6. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

Agreed. Defensive as default, and true aggressive as a toggle would be ideal for the current UI I think.

7. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Champion

I would personaly prefere the aggressive stance as default, like it is in all other RTS, but AoEs for sure. I don't understand why someone would prefere that a part of the army is constantly moving back...

Ardeshir likes this.
  8. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

Defensive is nice for stopping units of yours being pulled forward increasingly, or being kited in one direction for the whole map length. Of course, controlling the unit yourself is preferrable amongst the experienced, but when I was more casual/playing other aoes younger I found it real helpful.

...ReignOfRagnarok likes this.
  9. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Champion

True, the best option would be to choose individually

Ardeshir likes this.
  10. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

Yeah definitely. Having which is default as a menu option is always good.

11. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Champion

I know its grave digging. But is there any chance to be realised?

I played a lot latley and after a while this problematic bothers me the most.

Just an option for default stance on true aggressive would do work.

Units constantly being idle and walking out of the battle.

12. frogs.poison

frogs.poison Immortal

I get huge amounts of use from Stand Ground, especially in scenarios with ranged units, in most of the mini-game quests in which I can't afford for a unit to actually go and hit something, as well as getting tower soakers out (Tower Soaker's aren't very good if they run up to a tower and cause it to switch targets).

A good number of my strats would become impossible without Stand Ground.

Also, microing helps with preventing units from going "HERP I MOVED SLIGHTLY TOO FAR BYE GUYS". Don't just A-Move ppl.

13. frogs.poison

frogs.poison Immortal

Equillibrium, if unit's leashing if you don't properly micro them bothers you, imagine this scenario.

You are on a defensive quest, and you got a lot of units set up for the HUGE incoming attack wave. You have your units on Aggressive. The enemy scouts come by, and your entire army decides to chase that scout straight back to the enemy base, where they proceed to get absolutely MURDERED by the high damage walls, forts, and the incoming attack wave. Now you no longer have your army, you lose.

14. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Champion

The best option is to choose between the 3 implemented stances. True aggressive ist only useable via scenario triggers. I understand if people using stand ground and defensive. I dont mean to delete an stance, rather have an option for all 3 stances

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice