Unofficial Quest Design Contest

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Andy P XIII, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

This isn’t really a contest. I have no prizes to award and there may be no winner. It’s not really competitive, either.

As the lead writer for the main Roman Campaign, I want to leave no stone unturned in my quest to blueprint perfect quests. We’ve been openly soliciting ideas for a few weeks, and I’d like to ask again in a separate location.

So I am asking you all below to post your best one or two ideas for the Roman Campaign.

Rules:

1. I just want ideas. Don’t go crazy of use the editor. I suppose some basic sketches are OK if really necessary.
    2. Every quest should be for Roman civs below Level 20 that can be both solo and coop. Remember that the second player usually can use any civ in the game (unless we tinker by, say, giving them a static set of units with no villagers or base).
    3. I am looking less for traditional quests and more for Challenge Quests, Side Stories, and Naval Quests.
    4. I just want raw quest ideas. Cool gameplay. Creative objectives. Fun stuff. Don’t worry about Quest Givers, Quest Giver Strings, the story, etc. I don’t really want help with the narrative. As much as I enjoy brainstorming what moments in Roman history should be covered, we’ve already done that part and have that narrative skeleton drafted. I just want some meat to put on those bones.
    5. The best submissions would focus on perhaps one Roman unit and find a way to really bring out that unit’s charm or encourage players to use the unit in cool ways.
    6. I may never choose any of these ideas as inspiration. But, then again, maybe a few of you will be pleasantly surprised to see your yours make it into the game.
    7. Feel free to submit more than one entry and to build off of entries already submitted. This is a public brainstorm.
    8. Don’t tell PF2K that I did this. I want him to think I came up with all of the ideas.

2. Loading...

3. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

Just ban him from the forums no problemo!

I and most others will have to go over the blogs then I think, in order to make something to fit v criteria
    Sounds like a really good way to get the wider community involved in it though!

4. DynasticPlanet

DynasticPlanet Champion

A quest where the basic theme is that Rome’s loyal men are unavailable and only mercenaries, peasants and a few siege engines are available for use. Utilize your lack of infantry to tackle an enemy while the main forces are away.

a map that denies all but the officers! There is rebellion afoot, and no funds for mercenary aid! Only the most loyal officers stand by you! Fight the traitors to the empire and show them you commanding capacity!

5. Romaniac01

Romaniac01 Champion

A series of mini quests where you are a group of gladiators and fight a larger group of enemies and focus the correct waves of units based on the advantage that each unit has.

For example have a few archers, infantry, cavalry and the enemy has a gate where new waves come out of and you need to use the right units to destroy the enemy.

As the waves get more tough maybe by the end, maybe mix and match enemies and get people to learn to flank enemies.

As the mini quests get harder then get the enemies to be stronger.

As a reward maybe give them a statue or some cool item.

6. RacketyPurse

RacketyPurse Champion

I'm not very good at creating mission ideas and I wouldn't want to overturn your narrative sequence of the game, but you might stop in the main historical events to get ideas. Since you require simple missions from level 1 to 20, my idea would be starting from the beginning, we have a part of the map in the little-used game where with the Greeks we talk about the conquest of Troy, well I would start with the escape of Aeneas from Troy is the landing in Italy, (you could use that existing mission and you would already have the ready map) the foundation of a small tribe and the birth of Romulus and Remo (a mission where you could use a mission wolves, a matter of survival) I think it's a nice project to be able to found the Roman Empire from the beginning

7. Exclusive0r

Exclusive0r Immortal

Start off with a lone hero,( on the map or in a transport)
    He has to find some villagers
    Then build a base
    Then link up with another base (Think Egytian aliance Argos type) and protect it
    There is a barrier to stop archery or siege or only a single unit can be produced - the land is cursed
    have to find a treasure or priest to remove curse
    take down the bad guys

8. DynasticPlanet

DynasticPlanet Champion

Plague, famine, and disease infest our empire. How?! The lead pipes were making life so much easier! There is but one hope, a legend of a man known only as Clinicus Maximus! It is said he healed himself of any prior name. His elixirs are said to cure even the lepers, the limbless, and he has come to help with the spread! Defend Maximus, as he saves lives and heals the wounds of Romans and mercenaries alike who will likely rally to your banner should they be restored!

#7 DynasticPlanet, Apr 25, 2020 at 2:16 AM
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    MatrixSoft and Exclusive0r like this.
  9. Joe25443903

Joe25443903 Spearman

How about a fall of Rome quest. Have the player try to change history from when Rome fell

10. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

We may one day get to the Fall of Rome but the closest we will get in the first questline would likely be the Celtic Sack of Rome in 390 BCE, which was about 1000 years earlier.

Exclusive0r likes this.
  11. Joe25443903

Joe25443903 Spearman

Whats the time period for the quests the great thing about Rome is they where so big and reigned for so long there are a ton of quest ideas such as handriens wall , ceaser before being empower when he was a general he chose to show his might and colonize a area I forget where but at the same time fend off germanic barbarians. There's also when Rome was so big it split in two with two emporers also you have the rebellion of Spartacus there is a lot

12. DynasticPlanet

DynasticPlanet Champion

When those enemies come who did facilitate the end, I want to be on the winning side and trash the Roman Empire

Exclusive0r likes this.
  13. Joe25443903

Joe25443903 Spearman

If I remember history right the end wasn't very exciting rome was surrounded and starved into submitting but doesn't mean it couldn't be tweeked a bit to be more exciting

Exclusive0r likes this.
  14. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

The main questline is 508 to 395 BCE. I am looking more for gameplay ideas than for storyline ideas, if that makes sense.

Exclusive0r likes this.
  15. Joe25443903

Joe25443903 Spearman

Well then how about the romans trying to build Hadrian wall while being attacked by hordes of celtic barbarians you can start off easy and gradually more and more waves u can also make it multiple quest getting harder as you progress. And although I'm not a fan of legendary that would make final time doing it hard legendary one

16. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

We could certainly make some kind of quest like that in the main Ronan quest line, but not one about Hadrian’s Wall specifically. Hadrian lived 500 years later. :)

17. Joe25443903

Joe25443903 Spearman

Ya that was just an example

18. Joe25443903

Joe25443903 Spearman

Well maybe ill see it in romans if u like it ......it could be the wall of Joe (idea worth about 1 mill coins) I'm kidding of course

Andy P XIII likes this.
  19. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

I mentioned on @happysmurf ’s dev stream today that I have already used this thread to draft a quest. So please do keep the ideas coming.

RacketyPurse likes this.
  20. RacketyPurse

RacketyPurse Champion

a simple and fun mission to accomplish could be, the stabs aimed at Caesar (appearance, life and strength like any other general in the game). Create a map with a path that will lead you to him, during the walk you will have to recruit the senators of Pompeo to be able to defeat Cesare, simple and useful to make the change in the narrative of the game if we have to use all three generals

21. Exclusive0r

Exclusive0r Immortal

This is a fantasy game .. not sure we need to satisfy history nerds (sorry, not flaming , don't need flame )

lets invent our own history with a team that rocks o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Andy P XIII likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice