Server disconnect for no reason

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by oldages, Mar 27, 2020.

1. oldages

oldages Long Swordsman

Hi, me and my friend are facing disconnection problems on daily basis, sometimes it happens with me sometimes with her, we checked the internet its all fine, and the games just gives us an msg saying that the server is unavailable for one of us.
    We cound not see an msg saying we are disconnected to the server before we droped, and there is no way to set timeout or something like that, there is anyway we can try to prevent this to happen ?

2. Loading...

3. Max the Dragon

Max the Dragon Woad Raider

If you live across the world from each, it can happen quite often depending on what service providers or how "good" your internet is. By "good" I mean that, you might be able to use the internet just fine, but if it takes you you more than an hour to download most online games, then you're internet isn't necessarily cut out for playing with a long distance friend, or even a close by friend in the same town. Also, Internet usage can have "burps" in it quite often depending on lots of different things. These "burps" only affect situations where you are playing Multiplayer. The "Burp" is only a quick, couple milliseconds loss of internet most of the time, but it's enough to get DC'ed from a connection to a server. Honestly There are multiple other reasons it can be happening to, not mentioned here. But just checking your internet connection, is not enough to say the problem isn't on "your end." Doesn't mean it's your fault, just means it might not be something anyone else can fix.

t31os likes this.
  4. oldages

oldages Long Swordsman

No, actually we are in the same lan.
    Anyway, it stops for some reason, I guess its age server instability...

5. oldages

oldages Long Swordsman

I would be great if they implement something of wait when it disconnect, if we have a choice to keep it trying until it reconects it would be even greater, it sucks when you simple are disconnected in the middle of the game.

6. Max the Dragon

LAN can still have times where the internet "burps" It's just the internet connection being lost for a fraction of a second. Also, adding something that allows for re-connection isn't possible, as the server it self doesn't keep track of who DC's while playing with who. And it's not a server owned by Celeste in the same sense that big companies have their own servers... at least afaik Celeste kinda "rents" a server from somewhere. Could be wrong of course. And I for one know it's not a Server instability issue, as I never have this issue. Also, if you are using LAN only, you couldn't know if it's on your end, or their end, without first trying to Co-OP without using LAN. You'd need to try Co-Oping with someone not in the same house as you.

7. oldages

oldages Long Swordsman

I think you are wrong, preaty much any other online game have this feature ( reconnect ), also, even other age of empires games have it, like age III...

8. Max the Dragon

I've never seen an RTS that has this feature. Sorry bud. I have played AgeIII, and it's never asked me to reconnect to a game that I dc'ed from. Age II is the same way. RTS games are just too different to really use a reconnect method. Because once you DC, the game considers you to have resigned. Which means you are already considered as having lost. AoEO already DOES wait for a good 60 seconds of trying to reconnect you to each other before just DCing you from each other.

9. oldages

oldages Long Swordsman

Age III as any other game shows an counter that keeps trying to reconnect sometimes for long time, age online also have it, but it dont work for some reason, it shows an counter saying it will try to reconnect in 90 secs, but it disconnect you anyway...

10. oldages

oldages Long Swordsman

I just got disconnected again and louse an quest that was 1h long and at the end, there is any chance it will be fixed ? Its very easy to test it, just connect using an cable or wireless, and after you started an quest just disconnect it for a breaf moment, and the game will imediatly kick you out of the game, no counting to reconnect as expected, I think its buged for some reason and should be easy to fix.

11. t31os

t31os Berserker

This was a long standing complaint with the original AOEO (back when it was under Microsoft), if it were a simple problem to solve someone would have done it already.

12. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

Yeah it's not an easy fix to implement an autorecord/save in the background of all launched games/quests that lets you reconnect if you crash, and it'd be even harder because of co-op and pvp not having a central server the games synchronize to (and if we did, "rubber-banding" due to blips in connection would be worse without several months of tuning). Having the feature would be amazing, but working on something like that will probably cost us a questpack or set of new gear or cosmetics, or more, while the devs divert attention and man-hours to it.

I have had games where the other player has managed to keep connected after the timer has gone down to the last 5 seconds btw, so the reconnect as-is does work to an extent, but yes, the game is probably pickier than most you'll play when it comes to packet-loss.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice