By PF2K on Mar 21, 2020 at 11:57 AM
  1. PF2K

PF2K Lead Developer
    Staff Member Administrator

Header_-_Week_31.png
    As we develop the Romans, we are showing you how we are building them, who is building them, and also why we are building them the way that we are. Though we have finally revealed every Roman Unit, Building, and Technology, there is something that we would like to share you that greatly impacts the future of the Romans.

We all know that the world is going through some difficult times these days, and people are mostly encouraged to remain in the safety of their homes. This includes us, the team working on the Romans.

In light of recent events, we have decided to make the Romans even greater and are very excited to announce that the Romans will no longer be a pro civ. This means that they will start at level 1 and will give players the full Age of Empires Online experience.

RomansNoPro.png
    As you already know, consistency is something of utmost value to us, so rest assured that the Roman campaign will be on par with the Celts, Greeks and Egyptians.

They will have their own unique Regions, Quest Givers, main Questline, Side Quests, and more! We haven't missed the smaller details either, such as giving them their own equivalent of Delphi/Giza Limestone or Celtic Charcoal: The Roman Marble

MatsWarehouses.png
    Progression.png

Roman Campaign
    ================
    Campaign_Map.png
    Players will visit 3 different Regions during the Roman campaign, one of which we are going to show you today, and it's going to be the main hub of Roman Quests for the majority of the Roman campaign: the city of Capua

Capua_1.png
    Capua_2.png
    Available exclusively to the Romans, you will find new Stores, new Quests, Quest Givers here.

Capua_3.png
    Capua_4.png
    (PF2K's Personal Note: This region has been made by RecoN, happysmurf and JilgueriN. It's one of the prettiest and most detailed Regions ever! You're going to love it)
    The other two regions that you will see in the Roman campaign are the Roman Army Camp, where you will visit Mark Antony (which we haven't fully revealed yet and will do so in a future update blog) and the eternal city of Rome (which will also be available to other civilizations, of course, though it will have a handful of Roman-exclusive Quests, much similar to how Argos has a few quests exclusive to the Greeks.)

NewQGs.png

(Even more) New Roman Terrain
    ============================
    RCountry1.png
    To expand our design possibilities, we have added yet another Roman Terrain Set called "Roman Country". You are going to be seeing it in many Roman-themed Quests alongside the Roman Inland Terrain Set which we have previously revealed.
    RCountry2.png
    RCountry3.png

But the Terrain Set isn't the only thing that's new! We are also adding a few more gaia animals; Pigs and Chickens! Check out the Pigs here:

NewGaia.png
    (Chickens will come later.)

Complete Website Overhaul
    ========================
    Website1.png

To make all of this even better, we are happy to announce that we are also working on overhauling the entire Project Celeste main website, which will be much, much better looking than the current one, and will also feature fully detailed official guides for both PvE and PvP! Check it out below:

Website2.png
    (PF2K's Personal Note: Huge thanks to @SystemGlitch for his outstanding work on the website! It wouldn't have been possible without his efforts.)
    We're eager to hear your thoughts over this change of direction in the development of the Romans. Let us know what you think in the comments below!

========
    Thank you so much for reading, and we will see you all next time!
    Project Celeste Development Team

What do you think about this week's blog? What would you like to see next? Let us know in the comments below!

========
    Missed the Roman Civilization's announcement? Find out about it HERE.

Project Celeste is completely free and always will be. However, we gladly accept donations for our overhead costs, which are larger than we have budgeted. If you want to support us, you can do so HERE.

Read every Romans related blog HERE.

Tell your friends! Join our Discord HERE.
    ========

#1 PF2K, Mar 21, 2020 at 11:57 AM
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  2. Loading...

Comments

Discussion in 'Romans' started by PF2K, Mar 21, 2020.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.
    1. PF2K

PF2K Lead Developer
      Staff Member Administrator

It will not.

TheSpaniard, Ptamos and Servimomia like this.
    2. Kulcsos12

Kulcsos12 Hippikon

Great news, guys! Celeste Team is the BEST!!!

Will Pen of Herodotus spawn Pigs and Chickens in Capital Cities?
      Will Rome get a Floating Warehouse?

TheSpaniard likes this.
    3. Hawkster

Hawkster Champion

Hope to be released when the Summer Event starts!

I'm really looking forward to see improved Project Celeste main website. It look awesome...and much,much better-looking than present one ^^.

4. Alzerus

Alzerus Champion

Excellent, nice decisions on the full campaign and warehouse and really great news all around, now looking forward to returning to AoEO when the gates to Rome open. Stay well and safe everyone.

Ptamos and Andy P XIII like this.
    5. FFNEZ

FFNEZ Woad Raider

after 3 normal civ and 3 pro civ. though it is going to have the super pro tag but it seems not

6. MatrixSoft

MatrixSoft Champion

Simply incredible, excellent work, this team keeps on surprising, great news, congratulations

Andy P XIII likes this.
    7. bbgambini

bbgambini Hippikon

This came out of left field, I had no idea this was a possibility or even in the works. This is even more content then we expected and we were already happy :D now all of these new additions from the smallest chicken to the mightiest hero, it will only make this Roman release x100 better!!

and a big thanks to everyone behind the scenes putting in their own resources, time, effort, hustle and dedication to everything Romans/Aoeo all this wouldn't be possible without you guys!!

8. John Quincy

John Quincy Long Swordsman

Totally pumped about starting at level 1. I have always loved the process and am never in a hurry to level up but enjoy building up my civ along the way.

Andy P XIII likes this.
    9. Ardeshir

Ardeshir Immortal

<3
      The love and commitment you guys have for this game is unreal. Best of luck with development over the next few months!

Or in Trump lingo, Thank you PF2K, very cool! :D

10. Fristi61

Fristi61 Champion

11. RASPUTINPRIME

RASPUTINPRIME Champion

I love it! Great news that everyone is safe and i'm excited to see the continued growth of the Roman experience.

Andy P XIII likes this.
    12. Romaniac01

Romaniac01 Champion

Realistically most people do not use Advisor units. Normal unit with epic & Legendary gear tend to be better than the Advisor units.

This would mean work for something that will most likely not be used long term, as such it might be better to add an Age III advisor that may be used because Age III is one of the most difficult to select.

Also extremely excited about the Romans.
      I am very impressed at the effort put in by your team! Well done! :-D

Andy P XIII likes this.
    13. CrimsonCantab

CrimsonCantab Berserker

Seeing a vague title like "The Future of the Romans" really had me fearing for the worst. This turned out to be the complete opposite. Wow! So impressed, Celeste team!

TheSpaniard and Andy P XIII like this.
    14. TheSpaniard

TheSpaniard Berserker

Dunno about the Pigs and Chickens from the Pen of Herodotus (I hope so!), but I do know Happy Smurf was designing a Roman Grand Warehouse the other day on stream, so I think that's a yes!

15. FeteFatale

FeteFatale Long Swordsman

Can we please have a worthy historical Roman advisor instead of an insignificant Senator Octavius?

Gaius Marius for instance, would be a far more worthy advisor, as well as a storyline quest giver.

16. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

Who is the artist we are hiring to do this new art?:)

FeteFatale likes this.
    17. FeteFatale

FeteFatale Long Swordsman

I'm sure there's one or two on lockdown atm.
      On second thoughts, he'd (OctaviMarius, not your artist) need a barber, and that probably breaches social distancing rules.

18. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

You may find it some consolation that we searched high and low before arriving at making him simply a senator.

We knew he was a senator from the file name. But then we discovered he wears a toga that was specifically for senators only.

So then we set to work to find a senator (any senator) who wore a beard. This sent us into a rabbit hole on Roman beards. As if it turns out, there were no senators with beards until around Hadrian, who was the first bearded emperor and brought back the fashion.

Ultimately, we resigned ourselves to this guy simply being a generic senator. It was the will of the gods. But that’s OK, too. It’s AoEO. Not everything is history. Some things are just fun.

#38 Andy P XIII, Mar 29, 2020 at 3:38 AM
      Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    19. Ephestion

Ephestion Long Swordsman

Personally whenever someone mentions Rome I do not immediately imagine or think of SPQR I think of ICXN a Christian Hellenistic Civilisation. When ever someone one mentions SPQR Rome all I remember is the Germanics conquering Magna Gracia and dressing like Greeks from then on. Neapolis was the colonial Greek city that started Rome, not Capua. It was the Greek philosophers and academics that formed it's foundations and core values. The Etruscans and other entities you have included were Tyrants of similar impact to the Germanics, they squashed what could have been a great city and empire. So I was and still am against the inclusion of the Romans in this game. The Romans did not shine until the Greeks took back control from the reign of Diocletian and they adopted a common faith from Constantine onwards. The early years were flooded by Germanic or Barbarian wars constantly until Magna Gracia caved in. They were only liberated briefly in the 700AD's and then they fell back to Germanic control. The Popes of Rome began as Bishops using the Greek/Byzantine Liturgy with Greek names. Then the list of Popes becomes German controlled and Latin named as they controlled the church. Do I want this history in the game? No! Does playing Romans give me any satisfaction? No! So there is my opinion of the fact that Rome and the Romans are out of place in this game.

20. Andy P XIII

Andy P XIII Moderator

erm, OK. Diocletian stepped down as Emperor in 305 CE. This map shows the extent of the Romans at their height about 200 years before. If this is not evidence of the Romans shining, then I suppose we aren't going to agree on very much.

height-roman-empire-map1.png

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice